Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new lathe and it runs off of 220. I only have 110v in the garage. Does anyone have an estimate of the coat of running the line? It would be about 60 to 70 feet from outlet to breaker box.
I'm looking for the cost of materials. I know a few electricians so the labor, hopefully, will be cheaper than the going rate.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So I bought a new lathe and it runs off of 220. I only have 110v in the garage. Does anyone have an estimate of the coat of running the line? It would be about 60 to 70 feet from outlet to breaker box.
I'm looking for the cost of materials. I know a few electricians so the labor, hopefully, will be cheaper than the going rate.

Probley need to go to Lowes or home depot an price the wire there an they can cut it to the length you will need

·
John
3,028 Posts
Pretty much depends on where you are. Get one of your electricians to give you a number.
The real solution would be to bring a subpanel into your garage with the 220v, then you could also divide up your 110 circuits and add more 220 as needed. :yes:

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
If the lathe is the one and only machine you might ever get for your garage shop it wouldn't cost very much. You would have to let us know how many amps the motor uses before anyone could answer your question. It would be cheaper in the long run to have a sub-panel put in the garage if you thought you might get more 220v machines. Basically it would be running a much heavier wire to the garage and putting in a breaker box out there. The cost would be more but would be less than running several different 70' lines for multiple machines.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You are going to need 12 gauge wire with a ground, a 220V 20 amp breaker. A wall box and a 20 amp 220v receptical. I would say you are looking at less than $50 dollars for materials. The wire will be the most expensive. I priced wire at Lowes but they only list 250' rolls at around low $60 range. I know they sell in smaller length but the cost per foot will be more. Your electrician friend may be your best source for the wire.
Tom

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These replys are helping me alot. For me being a 17 year old just learning all this, it's really helping me. Before I was only thinking about running the one line, but since a whole new box was suggested, that sounds better. There isn't many outlets here and I would like more.

Any idea of how much the box would be?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
336 Posts
You already have plans for adding more outlets. You may find other tools that run on 220v also.
If I might suggest you run a 50amp line if you have to run a line for more outlets and power. #6 wire, a 50amp breaker, and a subpanel, will be about $250-$300. It should be the last time you need to run wire to the shop area. After that, you can branch off that line for outlets, lights, and other 220v circuts. I have three 220v outlets in my shop for different tools.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yank said:
You already have plans for adding more outlets. You may find other tools that run on 220v also.
If I might suggest you run a 50amp line if you have to run a line for more outlets and power. #6 wire, a 50amp breaker, and a subpanel, will be about $250-$300. It should be the last time you need to run wire to the shop area. After that, you can branch off that line for outlets, lights, and other 220v circuts. I have three 220v outlets in my shop for different tools.
I'm hoping to get bigger and better tools so additional 220 lines are in the future I think. A sub panel loaded up, will cost around $300? Or is that just an empty panel?

·
John
3,028 Posts

·
John
3,028 Posts
I went to HD today and looked at wire. The 12 gauge 2 strand wire with ground was $50.97 for a 100ft roll.
Hi Joe - I don't think you can use that wire for your project (I'm assuming it has to run outdoors a good part of the run). It isn't rated for exterior use. I'm not sure what the exact rating for exterior use is but the problem is that the insulation isn't UV resistant so will disintegrate after a time in the sun.:smile:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jschaben said:
Hi Joe - I don't think you can use that wire for your project (I'm assuming it has to run outdoors a good part of the run). It isn't rated for exterior use. I'm not sure what the exact rating for exterior use is but the problem is that the insulation isn't UV resistant so will disintegrate after a time in the sun.:smile:
My garage is attached to the house. So it will be all run inside.

What's the deal with conduit? Is it against code not to use it? I feel like it's a good idea but is it nessacary? It will be run inside the drywall. I'm not going to tear it down to string the wore threw.

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
Prices vary around the country. One of your electrician buddies would be more likely to give you an idea of the cost of 6/3 wire and a breaker box in your area. One thing you need to look at before you go too far with this is there a space in your main breaker box for a 50 amp breaker. I would also recommend that you install a seperate earth ground rod for the sub-panel. An earth gound rod is a 1/2" copper rod 8' long which is driven into the ground and attached to the sub-panel with a #4 gauge wire. You would end up with an empty box. You would then need an approiate breaker and wire for each machine you would connect to the breaker box. I gauge the wire at 20% over what the machine is rated at. For example a machine that runs at 16 amps, I set it up on a 20 amp service. That would be a 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp breaker.

The only benefit you would get from running conduit to an attached garage is to keep rodents from chewing on the wire. It would be just as good to hang the wire from the roof joists. Just don't fasten the wire too tight because a house expands and contracts like everything else.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Its gonna cost me about $450.00 for about 80 feet of the underground tech cable, sub panel, wire for the inside of the shop and breakers. I'll be digging the trench for the cable from the house panel to the shop and I'll be doing all the labour part of the rewire. And my father( an electrician) will do the connection. My shop currently runs on 1 single 15 am breaker from the house.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Duncancruiser said:
Its gonna cost me about $450.00 for about 80 feet of the underground tech cable, sub panel, wire for the inside of the shop and breakers. I'll be digging the trench for the cable from the house panel to the shop and I'll be doing all the labour part of the rewire. And my father( an electrician) will do the connection. My shop currently runs on 1 single 15 am breaker from the house.
I figure I'll have about a 40 foot run from the current box in the basement to the new box I want to put in. Mine will be all inside and I think I will run the wire and drill the holes. I just need help doing the actual wiring and with the connections

·
Registered
314 Posts
I should also mention I'm on the west coast of Canada. Biggest thing to remember with electrical. Make sure you follow code. And do not cut corners. That's why my dad will be with me the whole time telling me what to do. And my shop is not attached to our house. So the tech cable has to go underground.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
actually you may need 3 conductor wire (e.g. 12/3 w/g), if the motor requires a neutral. the wire will be sized to the load (motor amps) as mentioned.

sub panel itself may be $125 or so, depending on many things - typicall the breakers to fill it cost more than the box. but you can buy them as needed.

since you know some electricians, you really should bring them in for questioning. they have the luxury of being there and can give much better advice than us!

·
Registered
28,405 Posts
For a 220v motor three wires total is all that is needed. No neutral is used. The two live wires only will run the motor because when one leg is positive the other is negative. Alternating current switches the wires from positive to negative. The third wire is just a ground which is attached to the body of the motor. If the lathe had a light which operated on 110V then a neutral would be needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.