Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct size drill chuck for a Central Machinery 12 inch lathe? Anyone have suggestions for a good source for one? None of the Harbor Freights near me have them, and apparently, they do not have the ability to order specific items.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
it takes a Morse Taper Two (MT-2) on both ends.
it is not threaded - it is a friction fit.
one style is a fixed chuck and the other is free spinning.
I bought both of mine off of Ebay.

. image_17030.jpg

or - do you mean the thread size of the Morse Taper spindle threads
where you can screw on your own chuck ??

·
Registered
209 Posts
John has correctly provided you with the taper size, which is probably what you really wanted to know.

As far as what you asked, any size drill chuck can be used. The drill chuck itself, is sized by the maximum opening it has. Most likely you would want either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill chuck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are my first attempts at making bowls. The first was from a small chunk of firewood. The bigger one is from three pieces of 2x8s glued together, just to learn how to use the tools. I used a glue block screwed to a face plate for both.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started on another bowl out of white oak firewood, still pretty wet. We got over 5 inches of rain last night, and its still raining 24 hours later. My shop flooded. Another lesson learned...clean up the pile of wood chips before you head to the house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts