Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has commissioned me to make a corner storage cabinet.
She wants the top section to house a small flat screen TV and the bottom section with drawer type storage. The unit face should have an appearance resembling a traditional armoire.

What I am struggling with is the bottom storage section.
Wedge shaped drawers would be difficult to build, hard to track and stabilize and really don’t seem practical. Short of shelving and a faux drawer front panel, I’m having issues coming up with a design idea that is in keeping with the above requirements.

Any thoughts?

This is the armoire she wants copied.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you wanting corner drawers? They're fairly popular nowadays and not at all difficult to install.

Check with Blum.

·
Senior Member from MN
219 Posts
A lazy Susan, armoire style? Maybe with dividers and a front lip to hold contents?

Or, thinking outside the box, remove the wall causing the corner? just kidding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the thoughts folks.
I've forwarded the suggestions to L'il sis, including busting out the wall :laughing:

Her hubby is a carpenter and if he thinks he's getting out of this scott free, he's got another thing comin' :laughing:

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
If I'm understanding your words "corner cabinet" and "wedged shaped drawers", you are talking of a triangular cabinet. If that is the case, yes, you could make wedge shaped drawers and use a bottom mount center slide, or a pair of them say six inches apart. Or you could do the same with bottom mount wood slides. Using a bottom mount, you will have a fairly long section of slide to guide the drawer. Since the triangle of the drawers doesn't have to be a perfect spacing from the cabinet sides, only the drawer front has to line up with anything.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabinetman,
You assume correctly. That is exactly the intent.
Haven't heard from her in a couple of days, I'm sure she's busy with Thanksgiving plans.

One question that would have to be asked is what she is going to store in the drawers. Could be anything from bed sheets to lead ingots, knowing her. The answer to that will dictate 1 or 2 slides.

I've always used dovetails for drawer joinery in the past. Tunnel vision is causing me some grief about how I would pull that off on a triangular drawer. Maybe a finger joint would be better suited?

Does represent a challenge though. Don't know if it is enough to motivate me today. While my curiosity is piqued, I don't know if I could bring myself to clean up the shop AGAIN before company comes.
There's always Friday! :laughing:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just a thought... instead of a drawer per say, how about a pivot on one side like a door. The whole drawer would swing open rather than pull out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If one side was radiused it would not reduce the usable size of the drawer that much. I think I've seen this before is some magazine at some time in some other....well...you get the picture.:laughing:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it would look a little better than a "pizza wedge" comin' out of a rectangular hole. You could use knife hinges too.
Listen to me....:laughing: ...a guy that can't build furniture to save his life givin' advice....:laughing:

·
Pianoman
708 Posts
`m probably too late! But the cabinet can be built to fit in the corner. The cabinet seems to be 40 to 42" wide. You need to know how far out from the corner she will let you go. The side panels need to return 4 to 8" at 45 degrees to the wall. Start with a pencil line on a mock-up...in your shop showing the perimeter. The more return you have... the better the drawers will opperate. Use full extension tracks. Probably 10 or 12". Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts