Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, remember me?

It has been a while. My last woodworking adventure was trying to build my A&C Style coffee table. I got started only to discover my QSWO was too wet to use. So with that project on hold, I started expanding the shop. That has been going OK, but have to get rid of some junk. I did get all my machines back up and running.

I have wanted to build a Corn Hole Game for a while now and with The Summer of Paul Photo Monkey's BBQ coming I was really thinking about it. Then I opened my mail box yesterday and BAM! One of my wood working mags had some plans for one. I went out and bought some wood today and started cutting. I have all the pieces cut to size and I am ready for some joinery tomorrow night. Thinking of painter her in Raven's colors of purple and black.

I made some slight changes to the plan and cheated a bit and used BORG S4S pine, instead of poplar. I didn't feel like milling the wood and just wanted to get it going for this project.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Glad to see ya round Paul.
I made some a few years ago. Love playing bags.
I don't like calling it corn hole, if you know what I mean. Laughing!!!!!
BTW I just got that same magazine (Wood)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Yeah Dom, I am not fond of the corn hole name, not sure what they were thinking. I was actually shocked the first time I had to cover a Corn Hole Tournament for my newspaper. I had not heard of it before.

Glad I started a new project, even if my shop is still a bit of a mess. Feels nice to cut some wood again.

Paul

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Hey gang, remember me?
I have all the pieces cut to size and I am ready for some joinery tomorrow night. Thinking of painter her in Raven's colors of purple and black.
I think it would look better in yellow,red, and blue . Here's a template you can enlarge to layout the colors:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alchymist, I will definitely give it some thought, not. Hahahahaha. It will be the Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens colors or Superman colors. I have not decided.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got a little time in the shop after work today, cut the joinery for the frames and got one glued up. With every project I learn what I am lacking and need to work on. Today's lesson, you really need a decent size, flat assembly table. The plywood on the saw and work bench is not cutting it. It will have to do for today though. Plus I hate gluing things. I am sure I will get better as I get more experience.

Some of my glue joints might be a bit starved, just a bit. I was having trouble by myself on the uneven table. I might get my bro to help with the second one. I also may throw some small brads in there for a little extra bite.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First frame out of the clamps and second one glued and clamped up. Second one went much easier than first. Practice makes perfect, or at least a little better than the first one. Everything seems nice and square so far. I hope the line up together. Tomorrow I will glue and nail the top and build the legs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Shhhhh, don't tell cabinetman :) but you can use pocket screws from underneath and then the top will be free of any marks and you don't have to fill anything. I haven't made a set yet but I'm planning too.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice to see you making some dust, Paul. I'm also glad to see another view of that mermaid. Wow, it's a lot larger than I thought!

I got that magazine too. My wife has been wanting me to make a set of these as well. But, man, that dumb ass name "corn hole" just grates at my nerves and annoys the hell out of me. So much that I can't even stand to think about the game. The name, by the way, comes from that the bean bags were once/sometimes filled with dried corn rather than dried beans.

Just remember this: It's OK to put corn in your pie hole. But, for god sakes, DON'T put pie in your corn hole. That's just nasty. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just call it bean bag toss or something Steve and get building. The game is pretty popular here in MD and I am even getting more used to the name Cornhole for this game. Wow, I just thought how funny it would be to paint legs and a rear end on it with the hole, you know where. Might not be family friendly though.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Wow, I just thought how funny it would be to paint legs and a rear end on it with the hole, you know where. Might not be family friendly though.
That thought has occurred to before too. Sick minds think alike :laughing:

ctwiggs1 said:
That or biscuits. Cabinetman loooooves his biscuits
He even pretends the glue is gravy. Sweet, sweet gravy.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I must warn you not to play this game with strangers as you may end up unconcious in an alley somewhere.Seriously it looks to be a good game.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a little shop time in today. I got the tops glued and brad nailed to the frames. Waiting for them to dry. If you are going to build this, I recommend using poplar, like called for in the plans. I used pine, to try and save money, and it is much weaker than I had hoped. I tried to plane down a high edge on the frame joint and the joint broke. I glued it up and nailed it, but a harder wood might not have broke. I will get a shot of that later.

Next up will be making the legs, maybe some sanding of the frame and top.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I may have this fun summer game finished by winter time, but I got some shop time in tonight. I sanded some of the frame down where my joinery stuck out around the edge too far. This would have effected the trimming of the plywood with the router and pattern bit. I trimmed the overhanging plywood flush with the edges and then had to hit the corners with a belt sander because I still had some lumps from the edges sticking out. Now it seems to be pretty good. No real pics because I does not look too different.

My next steps will be sanding the entire boards and then working on the legs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts