Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Later this summer i am going to be building a deck in the back yard. i need to pick up a cordless drill without breaking the bank. I would like to be able to have the set grow with me as all. I want the batteries to fit as many tools as possible.

Any recommendations? The only thing I have looked at is the Ryobi One plus.

Thanks

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EM3 said:
Later this summer i am going to be building a deck in the back yard. i need to pick up a cordless drill without breaking the bank. I would like to be able to have the set grow with me as all.

Any recommendations? The only thing I have looked at is the Ryobi One plus.

Thanks
If I were buying a new set, I'd be getting the Rigid set for $179, or you can get it with a radio for $199 I think. My boss bought 2 and they are awesome. Way better than my older DeWalt 18 volt units.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are probably other sets just as good or better but I'm leaning toward the Ridgid just because of the lifetime service and I can walk in and deal directly with Home Depot. They have a very liberal return policy which makes returning something a breeze.

I have noticed that some of the Nicad powered drill/drivers are on sale.
I used a little 9 volt Ryobi for a couple of years and it performed very well. The battery gave up and a new one cost more than I paid for the drill so I bought a Ridgid 12 volt and it's a great drill but it's very heavy.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Without breaking the bank is a difficult idea to grasp without more detail.....for some....not breaking the bank is festool.....for others....its black and decker. What price range are you in?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure initial outlay for drill and battery maybe $200 unless I can be convinced otherwise.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
You know, if I started over buying new tools, and I might just do that in a few years when I just get tired with what I have, I would go with air tool. Buy a compressor and then the tools don't cost much to keep adding on new tools. It's also about the power. I hate, just my opinion, cordless electric tools. The power is not there equal to other power tools and then you have to switch out the battery all day long. After you buy 4-5 batteries to keep working, you have to spend an arm and a leg to keep the tool running and then the limited power that it started with dwindles as the battery weakens. Not for me. I rarely use my cordless power tools.

Here's a true example of cordless Ridged tool I bought. I wanted a brad nailers for some finishing work. I sent my son back into the store to get one since I was already at the register. He got a cordless Ridged. It cost me $60. I did not look at it when I bought it, my error. I didn't realize until I got home, over 100 miles, that it was cordless and we didn't buy a battery. I couldn't use it until I made another trip to Casper WY about a month later and bought a battery and charger for it for another $60. I saw a brad nailer at a different store for only $30, but it had a cord. To make things worse, the battery dies quickly and the nailer does not have as much power as I would like. It ended up being $120 for a tool that I could have obtained for $30 just to get rid of a cord.

Again, in my opinion, if you are going to get a lot of tools or plan on in the future of getting a lot of tools, air is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You know, if I started over buying new tools, and I might just do that in a few years when I just get tired with what I have, I would go with air tool. Buy a compressor and then the tools don't cost much to keep adding on new tools. It's also about the power. I hate, just my opinion, cordless electric tools. The power is not there equal to other power tools and then you have to switch out the battery all day long. After you buy 4-5 batteries to keep working, you have to spend an arm and a leg to keep the tool running and then the limited power that it started with dwindles as the battery weakens. Not for me. I rarely use my cordless power tools.

and that's the reason to buy ridgid cordless tools and register them with the LSA. free repairs, parts and labor, for life, including batteries. just be sure to properly register the tool with the LSA.

Here's a true example of cordless Ridged tool I bought. I wanted a brad nailers for some finishing work. I sent my son back into the store to get one since I was already at the register. He got a cordless Ridged.

a cordless ridgid battery powered brad nailer? i've never seen or heard of them having such a product. what was the model number of the item that so terribly disappointed you?

It cost me $60. I did not look at it when I bought it, my error. I didn't realize until I got home, over 100 miles, that it was cordless and we didn't buy a battery. I couldn't use it until I made another trip to Casper WY about a month later and bought a battery and charger for it for another $60. I saw a brad nailer at a different store for only $30, but it had a cord. To make things worse, the battery dies quickly and the nailer does not have as much power as I would like. It ended up being $120 for a tool that I could have obtained for $30 just to get rid of a cord.

Again, in my opinion, if you are going to get a lot of tools or plan on in the future of getting a lot of tools, air is the way to go.

the only drawbacks to using a compressor that immediately come to mind are the need for 110v power and the air hose.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
ryan50hrl said:
If I was going to spend 200 bucks.....here's what i'd buy.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_254288-70-DCK280C2_0__?productId=3441524&Ntt=dewalt&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Ddewalt&facetInfo=

Also....if your building a deck, you'll want a impact driver and a drill..........hence this kit.
Plus one on this. The first thing that came to mind after reading the OP was an impact driver.

You might also consider one of these.

Check out the video too.

You can set of your cordless drill for drilling and your impact for driving. No PITA bit changes. :)

http://www.kregtool.com/Deck-Jig-Prodview.html

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
the only drawbacks to using a compressor that immediately come to mind are the need for 110v power and the air hose.
When I read your post with the comments to the quote, I didn't know how to take it. I was wondering if you were unfamiliar with the tool I bought or questioning my integrity. I thought, I teach good character in the schools and need to always display that integrity, even when no one is looking. I didn't reply thus morning because I was slightly offended. I came home to prove you wrong and take a photo of my tool. I went out to my shop and to take a step back. I was wrong. I did not buy a Ridged but a Roybi. My apologies.

I thought to myself just for a second, I could drop the issue and I knew no one would really be the wiser; however, that would not be a good thing. I would not be displaying that character I teach to my students. I was wrong. I did not buy a Ridged. Although, I did buy it at HD and the rest of the story is 100% true. Again, I apologize for typing the wrong name. That was truly what I thought was true when I made my other post.

I do register my tools but that does not help if the tool is working as designed but not up to my standards. The cordless tools I have used are not flawed or broken. I just don't like changing the batteries all the time, buying several batteries to work through the entire day, or the decrease of power that can come from a tool with a cord or an air tool. This is my preference. I don't want to down anyone for using cordless tools. My father in-law only uses cordless hand tools. I won't buy another. I love my father in-law. We just like different things.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Here's a true example of cordless Ridged tool I bought. I wanted a brad nailers for some finishing work. I sent my son back into the store to get one since I was already at the register. He got a cordless Ridged. It cost me $60. I did not look at it when I bought it, my error. I didn't realize until I got home, over 100 miles, that it was cordless and we didn't buy a battery. I couldn't use it until I made another trip to Casper WY about a month later and bought a battery and charger for it for another $60. I saw a brad nailer at a different store for only $30, but it had a cord. To make things worse, the battery dies quickly and the nailer does not have as much power as I would like. It ended up being $120 for a tool that I could have obtained for $30 just to get rid of a cord.

I agree totally with not using cordless tools for very long. I only have 1 cordless drill now because as stated above, I was also tired of going back and forth to the charger. I have 11 corded drills right now (I know, it's a lot, but most are vintage, all metal, and work very well). I just can't see doing any project that needs a lot of work, time and/or torque using cordless tools. I do, however, use air tools for most all of my nailing.:yes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to Lowes yesterday with dad for his birthday and they have their Litter Cable cordless 18v on clearance because they are coming out with a 20v line up. Any thoughts on Porter Cable?

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
EM3 said:
Went to Lowes yesterday with dad for his birthday and they have their Litter Cable cordless 18v on clearance because they are coming out with a 20v line up. Any thoughts on Porter Cable?
PC was better quality a few years ago. Since it was acquired by the same parent company as DeWalt, the quality has gone down hill. I was even told this by a PC/DeWalt factory sales guy at the Wood Show last January. Having said that, if the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to buy PC. I have their 690LR & 895 routers and I'm very happy with both.

Mark

·
broke rookie
36 Posts
i love my 18v rigid drill. using it for about 8 years now. batteries charge quick and it has plenty of power for me.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
When I read your post with the comments to the quote, I didn't know how to take it. I was wondering if you were unfamiliar with the tool I bought or questioning my integrity. I thought, I teach good character in the schools and need to always display that integrity, even when no one is looking. I didn't reply thus morning because I was slightly offended. I came home to prove you wrong and take a photo of my tool. I went out to my shop and to take a step back. I was wrong. I did not buy a Ridged but a Roybi. My apologies.

I thought to myself just for a second, I could drop the issue and I knew no one would really be the wiser; however, that would not be a good thing. I would not be displaying that character I teach to my students. I was wrong. I did not buy a Ridged. Although, I did buy it at HD and the rest of the story is 100% true. Again, I apologize for typing the wrong name. That was truly what I thought was true when I made my other post.

I do register my tools but that does not help if the tool is working as designed but not up to my standards. The cordless tools I have used are not flawed or broken. I just don't like changing the batteries all the time, buying several batteries to work through the entire day, or the decrease of power that can come from a tool with a cord or an air tool. This is my preference. I don't want to down anyone for using cordless tools. My father in-law only uses cordless hand tools. I won't buy another. I love my father in-law. We just like different things.

no intent here to offend anyone with my question, i just like to keep tabs on what manufacturer is putting out what type of tool. i've never seen a ryobi battery powered brad nailer. any chance for a reference to a model number or pic of the unit? the only battery powered nail gun that i'm presently aware of is a ridgid 18v battery powered finish nailer that seems to retail for ~ $259.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use cordless tools only when it's not practical to use air or corded. For this reason I went with the Ryobi 18V one battery fits all. I bought the 6 battery charger and lithium batteries in both small and large capacity. No problems with any of the equipment so far. I have three drills, a chain saw, a saws all, a jig saw, a sander, 2 circular saws these aren't the most powerful tools on the market but for the price they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Burb said:
PC was better quality a few years ago. Since it was acquired by the same parent company as DeWalt, the quality has gone down hill. I was even told this by a PC/DeWalt factory sales guy at the Wood Show last January. Having said that, if the price is right, I wouldn't hesitate to buy PC. I have their 690LR & 895 routers and I'm very happy with both.

Mark
Ps Both are now Stanley black and decker brands.

·
Registered
55 Posts
One word. MAKITA. I am completely hooked on this brand and will never buy anything else. Talk about versatile, I just picked up a sliding miter saw thats 15 years old and i can actually get an adapter to use the new style lithium batteries in it. I don't know if it was a fluke but I picked up the souped up makita hammer drill/driver, two batteries, charger, and case that also holds the matching impact driver at depot for 160. That's dirt cheap. Another plus in for the makita stuff @ Home Depot is that they are one of the very few tool manufacturers that don't "dumb down" their tools in order to make the price tag more attractive. Go ahead and take apart a dewalt tool from depot, all plastic on the inside. Same with Andersen doors and windows. Always remember, you get what you pay for. I have to say though, I really like the feel of the new bosch lineup. The batteries are the nicest i have seen yet. Very nice.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Ok....that's pretty cool. Not real useful I'm guessing but cool none the less

And a dewalt dw936 (model just for an example) tool at Home Depot is exactly the same as the a dw936 tool elsewhere. Now I'm not disputing you can buy a cheaper dewalt tool at hd or lowes, but it is a different model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts