Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ridgid 18V cordless drill/driver that is about 8 yrs old. I had 3 good NiCad batteries, but two don't hold a charge anymore. The last one is getting weaker. I bought the drill and batteries before the Ridgid lifetime battery warranty.

I notice HD doesn't sell 18V NiCad batteries anymore. Do any of the 18V LiOn batteries fit my drill? If so, unfortunately that also means a new charger for the LiOn batteries. It might be cheaper to buy a new tool with 2 batteries.

Does HD still have the free replacement battery warranty on the Ridgid tools?

The other alternative: Lowes has an 18V LiOn DeWalt drill/driver with 2 batteries for $99 on Black Friday.

Steve

·
7,222 Posts
The cases of NiCad and LiIon batteries are different to prevent using one kind in a tool designed for the other.

You either need to buy new batteries, have the present batteries repaired to replace the cells, or purchase a new tool.

Sad to say purchasing a new tool is normally less expensive.

The LiIon batteries hold charge a lot longer, seem to be more powerful and supposedly do not have the "memory" issue of NiCad.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I ran into the same issue. I picked up a 20 v lithium ion dealt hammer drill and impact set with two batteries for 299 at Lowes. Really good deal, I think you can buy it now for that price too. By the time you buy a charger and two batteries you will be close to that cost anyways. Those impacts are very handy.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I'd go dewalt....but this is a topic as likely to get heated as any of the political threads.

It's always been my feeling that dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita were a level above ridgid in cordless tools.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Home Depot has a deal right now for $199 you get a Ridgid drill, impact driver, radio, charger and two of the new Hyper 4 AH batteries. Not sure but I believe it includes a zipper bag it all fits in. Really hard to beat the price. Even rebuilding two old NiCads will be over a $100. The new Ridgids will have the lifetime warranty.

My son has a collection of 18 volt Ridgid tools and I can tell you from experience they stack up to my Makita collection 18 volt 100%. The only knock on the Ridgid is the impact driver is a littler bigger than the Makita. That said the new Hyper 4 AH 18 volt battery beats the Makita battery in power (last longer) and weight. If I didn't have so much Makita stuff already I would go Ridgid when my batteries crap out.

One note of caution... If you are in the habit of running the NiCads down to nothing, don't do that to the lithium ions. Running them low will shorten their life. It was a hard habit for me to break but after I ruined a couple of new lithiums I smartened up some. Now I charge them often and rarely let them get so low that you notice any deterioration in the performance of the tool.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When you buy a battery operated tool, you are basically buying the batteries, and they throw the tool in as an added incentive.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I've got a 10 year old Dewalt 12v NiCad and I was able to find some generic batteries on Amazon for only $20. You might do a search using the specs on your batteries and see what you can find.

I've had it for a few months and it is working fine for me. I'll probably buy a second after weather gets warmer and I get going on some outdoor projects.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cordless drills are a personal choice but you should look at the new Milwaukee Fuel line of drills, both the M12 and the M18 version. I have both and they are amazing tools. I had the M18 non Fuel version drill and upgraded to the Fuel version. I thought it couldn't get any better then that, as the drill was lighter, more compact, much more powerful and the battery's last forever. I already had their M12 3/8's impact wrench and love it, so I decided to try the new M12 Fuel drill. This M12 Fuel is so small yet powerful, that I hardly ever use my M18 anymore. I plan on picking up the M12 Fuel ¼ inch Hex Impact Driver soon, for stubborn screws and bolts.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
I have a Ridgid 18V cordless drill/driver that is about 8 yrs old. I had 3 good NiCad batteries, but two don't hold a charge anymore. The last one is getting weaker. I bought the drill and batteries before the Ridgid lifetime battery warranty.

I notice HD doesn't sell 18V NiCad batteries anymore. Do any of the 18V LiOn batteries fit my drill? If so, unfortunately that also means a new charger for the LiOn batteries. It might be cheaper to buy a new tool with 2 batteries.

Does HD still have the free replacement battery warranty on the Ridgid tools?

The other alternative: Lowes has an 18V LiOn DeWalt drill/driver with 2 batteries for $99 on Black Friday.

Steve
Ridgid had the lifetime warranty more than 8 years ago but you had to register online to get it. You still have to do that. If your batteries are covered under the LSA, which it doesn't appear yours will be if you don't remember registering online, you would do better having the cells replaced. I purchased some used 18s for my tools and have no warranty on them. Locally, for me, cell replacement costs about 45 bucks each and actually they use better cells than what was in it. I get longer runtimes than before I had them repopulated and the batteries seem to be lasting longer. I have now switched over to the LiON Ridgids and, so far, they are ok.

Otherwise, you could keep your eyes peeled for a sale on a combo unit.

Well, this is an old thread, so I am sure, by now, there are new tools involved!

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are places on the web which will either sell you new cells for your battery, complete with instructions on how to determine which cell or cells are bad and how to replace them, or do the work themselves (for an additional fee, of course).

In any case, it is considerably cheaper to fix the batteries than to buy a new one, and you can get a lot more use out of a perfectly good tool

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The results after my original post was that I bought the DeWalt 20V LiOn set at Christmas for $99. The kit includes a 2-speed range drill/driver and two LiOn batteries and charger. Its not quite as powerful as the Ridgid but much lighter and good enough 99.9% of the time. This kit doesn't seem quite up to the quality of more expensive DeWalt drills, but it's adequate.

My 18V NiCad Ridgid still has one battery that holds a decent charge, so I still use it now and then.

In the past with other drills (12V Porter cable) I have taken apart two bad battery packs and made one good one by combining the remaining good cells. It's pretty easy to identify the bad cells (each is 1.2V) and swap them. Last time I looked you could buy the cells online pretty cheap. You just need to match up the shape and amp-hours with the others. The only tricky part is to attach the new cells, as the old ones are usually connected by a metal strap spot-welded to the battery terminal. Soldering is touchy because you don't want to overheat the battery and possibly explode. I usually used some conductive epoxy to attach the strap. That's what I will probably do with the two bad Ridgid battery packs (someday).

Steve

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This is why I despise cordless tools. I also despise inkjet printers for the same reason.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speaking of places on the web to buy batteries...

This thread reminded me that my old DeWalt 14.4 volt drill could use some new batteries, so I went hunting. Within 5 minutes I found "The Power Tool Doctor", at (of course) www.powertooldoctor.com...

Surprise, surprise, surprise...

I found that getting a pair of DW9091 batteries (what my drill takes) rebuilt (with 2.2 AH cells - the "XR" cells) would cost me $37.00 apiece, with free shipping if you do two at a time...

And, if I wanted new ones, I'd pay $39.95 each, plus shipping... For one: two are.... wait for it.... less.

I think I'm going to find out what the shipping cost to get mine there is going to run.

Oh, by the way, they say that they rebuild and return the day after they get them...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Continuation of above posting:
I called them up: they said "send them in the mail using USPS "one-price" box: you know, the one they advertise as "if it fits it ships". Weight is not a consideration.
The box that I need is going to cost $12.35...
They are going to go out tomorrow.
I'll post again when I get them back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts