Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the latest in my series of coopered segmented turned boxes. Lots of hours go into these but they are fun to make and a great way to use up all the little pieces of scrap wood around the shop.

Chafing dish Font Metal Table Lid

Table Wood Serveware Lid Bowl

Wood Hardwood Table Floor Wood stain

Enjoy, Bret

·
Registered
645 Posts
Whenever I see you have a new project in this forum I always get really excited to click on the link. You're an artist as always Bret. I especially love the top.

Curtis

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Lola Ranch said:
Here is the latest in my series of coopered segmented turned boxes. Lots of hours go into these but they are fun to make and a great way to use up all the little pieces of scrap wood around the shop.

Enjoy, Bret
Awesome work. Someone will love it!!!

Mark

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Beautiful box-Amazing use of scraps!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Very nice indeed. Do you have any pics of the glue up?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely beautiful! How did you create the intricate saw tooth design?
I stacked alternating 1/8" x 2" strips of walnut and maple together to make a chunk about 2" x 2" x 1'. Then I cut through this at a 45 degree angle making 3/8" wide (approx) strips which I then glued back together after alternating the angle direction. Then I cut those chunks into strips and then mitered them into segments for the ring. You have to be somewhat careful about planning your cuts so as to get the peaks to line up nicely.

A lot of work for a small detail.

Bret

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice indeed. Do you have any pics of the glue up?
I had to think about this question. Which of the fifty or so glue ups are you wanting a photo of? I can show a photo of my ring glueing clamp, which is a modified band clamp.

Actually, when in the middle of gluing something up is not when I think about getting my camera out. I would probably get glue all over it or step on it or some such.

If you could be a bit more specific about what you want to see I'll try to help as best I can.

Bret

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Sorry I was a bit unspecific. I was so impressed by your bowl (urn, vase?) and I was interested in how it was made. The part I'm most curious about is the middle part, the one that looks as it's coopered.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Absolutely beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry I was a bit unspecific. I was so impressed by your bowl (urn, vase?) and I was interested in how it was made. The part I'm most curious about is the middle part, the one that looks as it's coopered.
Wood

The photo shows a over-simplified glue-up after the fact and after I turned the outside smooth. At the actual glue-up stage the outside faces are all faceted.The actual tube I made was about three feet long and I used three band clamps.

I find it very helpful to lay strips of masking tape, sticky side up, on the work surface. Then lay the individual staves outside face down on the tape. Snuggle the pieces together as neatly as you can making sure you have excess tape protruding past bothe ends. The, without glue, grab the ends of the tape and roll your tube. Check the fit and re-bevel as necessary. Once you are certain of a good fit repeat the dry-fit procedure but add a bead of glue to each edge before rolling the tube. Have all your band camps pre-set to the right diameter and ready.

It is also helpful to have all the end cuts even an the staves. the whole assembly may want to twist and you will need to add end pressure to combat that.

Good luck, Bret

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
I also love your work and its always awesome
I would love to see you do a build thread on this one or another similar :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We should pester some of the other turners with superior skills to mine for a build thread.

If I showed all the techniques I used for this you would laugh. These turnings are still largely experimental even though I've been doing them for forty years.

I suppose though that if I explained my failures then I could save others from making the same mistakes.

Bret

1 - 20 of 22 Posts