Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a piece of wood that has what looks like a feather formed in the rings. I am making an end table out of it. Can I sell it for more being that this formation is rare? I can't find another piece of wood on the internet with anything like this. And I've never seen something like this my whole life.
Table Natural material Tree Wood Trunk

Brown Natural material Wood Tree Tableware

Table Natural material Tree Wood Trunk

Attachments

·
Administrator
David - Machinist in wood
6,136 Posts
Very nice! You can certainly ask for more but whether or not you'll get it is up to the buyer. Do it with confidence and stand your ground. You'll know soon enough if you're too high.

Where are you planning on selling this - online, local, etc.? The larger the audience the greater chance you'll have of getting a premium price. Be sure to post photos of the table and by all means make sure the quality of the rest of the build is consistent with the top.

·
Registered
594 Posts
In my experience that's fairly common. The cut is near where a limb has grown, then the limb has broken or fallen off, then the tree trunk has grown around/beyond the remnant limb "blemish".

Furthering the description of the image and why it forms like that: The beginnings of limb growth starts in the interior of the trunk, when the tree was younger.... this should be obvious or of common sense rationale. If the tree (trunk) was to rot away, hence hollowing the log, then that sort of limb remnant would remain, somewhat, since that aspect would be more dense and less likely to rot as fast as the other parts of the log. Those limb features, on some rotting logs, are often naturally artistic.

I use to search for those limb remnants on rotting cypress logs. When pulling one off a log, that internal limb remnant will sometimes be in the image/form of a ship or bird or maybe even an odd growth formation. I use to have a fleet of ships, loaned to an arborist for a demonstration, and I never got them back. That original fleet was much more better formed, with higher/taller masts, than my subsequent ships. The mast of the ships and neck/head of the birds is the same as your feather feature. Below are a few pics of the subsequent not-so-nice of ship and of bird formations.

On your log disc/cookie, at the 12 o'clock position, there is another much smaller "feather" feature, indicating another smaller limb remnant formation.

Sonny
Table Wood Natural material Trunk Building

Table Wood Grey Plant Artifact

https://flic.kr/p/d5gfh1 https://flic.kr/p/d5fXTW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's coming along....Slowly. I probably got 100 hours of sanding the pieces that this is going to be comprised of. I been applying epoxy resin and tung oil but trying to get it all together ive been beating the wood up. I got brackets and hardware that are too weak and had to buy more and make more. Here's where I'm at though, you should be able to see what it's going to look like. I should be done by Monday. I have to be done by Monday , I start a new job out of state and will be gone for months.

Plant Wood Trunk Chair Fence
Wood Cuisine Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Metal

Dress Natural material Wood Plant Animal product

Furniture Wood Outdoor furniture Chair Rectangle

Furniture Plant Outdoor furniture Wood Comfort

Drum Membranophone Wood Musical instrument Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you market this well (feature it among your other work, point out the unique quality . . . ) you should be able to get a premium for it. At worst, start asking high and allow the buyer to negotiate down a bit. They will feel they got a bargain and you can still get more than a similar piece would bring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts