Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was charged with making a pretty cool piece at work that I thought I'd share with you guys. At least I thought it was cool, anyway haha!

When finished it will serve as a hot beverage counter, complete with touchscreen order entry thingamajigs and a big ol shiny espresso machine (& probably an underpaid barista as well).

The cabinet is plywood finished with plastic laminate, and a wiggleboard substrate for the radius front. The top/backsplash apparatus is a rather complicated corian nightmare. Ok enough rambling. On to the pics

image-2683504826.jpg
2 piece top to be seamed together later. Backsplash begins as 2 pcs of wiggleboard laminated together in a form.

image-1028706239.jpg
Tops seamed together, graphite black corian heated & bent, and applied to splash.

image-2206528897.jpg

image-4039273803.jpg
Black side is the back, cup cylinders will go below top.

image-899121304.jpg
Almost done....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellas! Its been a challenging build, lots of head scratchin'. Tomorrow I'll post a couple pics of the finished product & process.

Blue - as far as I know, "solid surface" refers to any resin based material in which the properties of the surface are consistent throughout the entire thickness of the material. Hence a "solid" surface as opposed to a laminated, veneered, or otherwise finished surface.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
BZawat - I'm not sure what the purpose of the corian is for... is it where the workers prepare the product???? I've worked with corian before and feel comfortable working with it. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the final work... if you have questions, ask me...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BernieL said:
BZawat - I'm not sure what the purpose of the corian is for... is it where the workers prepare the product???? I've worked with corian before and feel comfortable working with it. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the final work... if you have questions, ask me...
The black part in the back will have an espresso machine on it. The white part is the front, there will be one touch screen ordering computer on either side of the box-looking divider in the center.

Deanr said:
That's nice work.
Can you tell us how you bent the plywoods, corian and also how you applied the plastic laminate?
The round front of the cabinet is made of "wiggle board", which is a bendable birch plywood. Some people call it bend birch. I made a form at the proper radius, bent the board over it & used contact cement to laminate two 3/8" layers together. Laminate was also applied with a solvent based contact adhesive. It was applied in a sheet, and cut to look like planks with a trim router & v-grooving bit and a jig I made to keep the grooves straight. The grooves were then stained with a dark mahogany stain. Corian becomes very pliable when heated to a temperature of about 325°. We have an oven in the shop that is designed specifically for heating and bending corian. It is heated and clamped to a form to cool, like this:

image-485049694.jpg

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a few finished pics. Pardon the dust and such. It's been a long week and there's no cleaning happening today lol

image-1465834719.jpg

image-2539672678.jpg

image-594626839.jpg

image-1278936426.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,116 Posts
Very neat project BZ,
I like the different shapes involved, the contrast of the materials. What kind of place is it going into? Coffee shop, Panera Bread, etc? See if you can get a picture when its loaded and ready to brew.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dominick said:
Looks nice Brian.
Always good to do what you love doing at work.
Thumbs up!!!!
I've heard people say, "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life". I don't know if I'd go that far, but I get the point lol!

Most days I do relatively tame, sometimes downright boring store fixtures. It's kinda fun to get a challenging job mixed in once in a while.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
firehawkmph said:
Very neat project BZ,
I like the different shapes involved, the contrast of the materials. What kind of place is it going into? Coffee shop, Panera Bread, etc? See if you can get a picture when its loaded and ready to brew.
Mike Hawkins;)
Thanks Mike. The co I work for has done all the cabinetry/fixtures for an east coast convenience store chain for about as long as I've been alive now lol. This "service beverage" counter is the latest tweak on a prototype still in marketing & developmental phases. After this is installed there will be 3 stores that have them. I don't install - I'm relegated to the shop - but I'll have one of our installers send me a pic when its up & running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts