1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all--
I am trying to find somebody who is able and willing to produce these parts:

http://s877.photobucket.com/user/plm5002/library/header bows

They are convertible top header bows, hickory or oak is the preferred wood. The originals were something like balsa and are all rotten.

They are for some old cars my father has:
I guess they could be done by hand but would require serious time to get the curves right, and I don't know how to find somebody with the skills to produce it.

Any guidance?

·
7,222 Posts
I think you either need to find a CNC shop willing to take this on, or find a local craftsman.

You may want to advise your location since forum members may be able to advise some local contacts.

These look like not too complicated to cut by hand. Laminate some board to get the thickness, but out rough on the bandsaw, then use spokeshaves to get the final shape.

Plan "B" may be to use an epoxy like "Git Rot" or "Rot Doctor" to stabilize the rotten wood.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
I'm in IL. and will ship wherever needed.

Thanks for the advice-- I'm located in Aberdeen, MD 21001. I left off that I need a quantity of 30 of these :icon_smile:
If you could provide a detailed/dimensioned drawing of these, I would be glad to quote you a price. The only other way would be to have the piece in hand. Shipping costs would also be your responsibility. Let me know your thoughts. :smile:

·
Registered
305 Posts
My MGA has a wood top bow for the top of the windshield. Working from memory here, but I believe the bottom surface is flat (save for maybe a couple of routed pockets). If that's the case, the rough shape could be done with a router and pattern. It's the cross-section profile along the length that would be tricky to duplicate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.