Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
newman thanks , the top part along the curve are morticed the same width as slats, I laminated the curved pieces from 1/8" thick strips glued with titebondII... all the curved parts I made a pattern board and used a router and bearing guided pattern bit to finish curve...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
finished fitting slats to headboard. all of the mortices needed some chisle work to make a good fit. foot board next. pics show how well it worked out... color is a little funky because I purchased 4 new fluorescent with the "daylight" tubes I can see the bottom of the mortices now without a flashlight

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I got back to work today . I cleaned up the headboard cap, from the lamination/glue.. I plan to start sanding next. I have included a pic of where I am with it. It looks like a crib ...

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sweet! Please share what type of hardware you are/will be using when it comes time. Really enjoyed this build! Looking forward to the final touches.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks newman now I remember thats what I am wondering, how to attach sides to front especially the top/side.. I have the convertable crib hardware and matress support ordered from product america.
I was thinking of using this bed rail connection system for the bottom connections as it may be converted to a regular bed. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=25449&site=ROCKLER
But the top front I hesitate to use wood plugs to cover the screw holes.. do not want grandson to pry them out and try to eat them...

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is really nice I look forward to watching the project finish. I once tried to have an Amish craftsman build me a crib. He declined because he did not want to build it to come apart.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
here is where I am today, I have used the dimentions given in the plans.... I am about as mad as I have ever been! 2" too long.
I think the mattress should fit a bit better than this!... the mattress frame from products america who I believe build frames everyday measures 50 7/8" X 26 1/4" standard size for crib mattress is 28"X52"
Stupid designer cad idiot that drew this.... Stupid me for taking his measurement to be correct.
Now how to correct this? I can shorten head/footboard but its going to be a challenge with the curved pieces and its going to throw the slat spacing off... remake both to proper measurements 30 mortices...again got till june to finish?

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
got back at it today 12hrs making crib to proper dimentions ... I discovered that cutting an outside curve will shorten the verticals... do NOT buy these )*&^*)&^ )*_)* plans!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nice work in these pics!

I am late to the game, and at the risk of mentioning "regulations", in my opinion, every crib build should use plans that can pass the latest crib safety regs.

I thought I had a grip on the issues, but was surprised to learn about.... the max spacing that will still prevent heads from getting stuck, and how to make a dead-weight wedge to test the ability of the vertical rail bars/slats to resist lateral forces..... I hate to think of how many heads got stuck between the bars before they designed this test. No doubt many of the plans and a bunch of you guys are great engineers. But there's that off chance you might not think of something. Min height for rails to prevent overbalancing? The two-handed requirement to operate latching mechanisms (so little Houdini operating a single mechanism won't cause a crash?

Just sayin'.... the little uns are mighty fragile when they are still crib sized. The regs were a big help, anxiety-wise, when we turned our stand alone store bought crib into a sidecar attached to the bed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After modifications and 1st finish coat, waiting still for the weather to co-operate to put final coat on. Note the slats on foot and head pieces spacing at the ends...

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hard to say but would guess about 20? I did have to get an additional 8/4 for the slats too

·
Registered
1 Posts
This crib is absolutely beautiful. Would you be able to send me that plans with your corrected measurements? I was going to buy the plans but did not want to run into the same issue you did. Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Keryan I would not use nor recommend those +)(*) plans others here may be able to recommend something that they have used. I do strongly suggest that when you are building to check the mattress fit and slat spacing for mattress 51-5/8 inches in length and 27-1/4 inches wide and for slats should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart. I purchased the mattress support from products America.
Here is another one I built http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/crib-build-3-a-51444/

21 - 40 of 44 Posts