Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can imagine the challenges of trying to cool shops in the south and southwest. A few common sense suggestions.

Get good room darkening shades for any windows. Windows let in a ton of heat. Insulate and insulate. Create an air space over-head like an attic, and vent it with an attic fan. They sell
solar vents and fans . Some of those get pretty good reviews.

Not having some air-conditioning in those climates isn't going to
get you a cool shop. I would think its a a necessity.On top of the other
things mentioned above.

·
Registered
336 Posts
With a portable air conditioner, it is usually recommended to vent thru a window. on the portable, you need an intake and exhaust duct, and both can be set up in the same window, with a diverter so the hot exhaust is not being returned to the intake side. Venting the portable into the attic fills the attic with hot air and the intake will be using that hot air over again. The portables come with a window installation kit. They are available in sizes from 8,000 btu's to 14,000 btu's. Prices range from $299 to $724.

This info came from the big orange store.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yank;

Thanks for the sales pitch and instructions, but I do not have windows in my Garage. The attic is my only option for venting the heat out of the shop.

Not all of the portables have an intake AND exhaust line either. The one in my server closet only has an exhaust vent which I vent into the lowered ceiling.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts