Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a General 50-185 contractor saw in great shape except that the owner had discarded the splitter. After ordering a splitter and blade guard from General, I tuned the fence and ran a board through. The kickback was so violent it turned my homemade feather board into Popsicle sticks. My first test was to measure whether the blade was running true and variance was less than .002.
However the blade was .082 out of alignment front to back with the miter slot. I loosened the trunnion bracket bolts – first three bolts and then all four and found that .082 was as good as it got. Then I filed the bolt holes in the rear trunnion bracket, ultimately getting a reading of .040, still far from acceptable.
I’m not sure at this point whether to a) keep expanding the bolt holes on the rear trunnion bracket, b) extract the front trunnion bracket and expand its bolt holes in the opposite direction, c) order new trunnion brackets, or something else entirely. The tech service person at General is on vacation, so no help there for the time being.

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts
you are on the right track

You'd have to determine which of the bolts will make the most sense to pivot on to get the proper alignment. Left rear.... right front ....etc. then loosen all but that one and rotate the assembly as far as possible to get the blade parallel to the miter slot. If the other bolts will not thread into their respective holes then yes, elongate the holes until you can get them threaded properly.

This is a Royal PITA, but there is no way around it. Hopefully you can guesstimate how much to file and get it done in one or two attempts. If removing the trunnions is easily done then, that may be the best answer. ... just elongate them all.... :yes:

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a set of brackets designed by the same guy that designed and sells the "Dubby". I think they are called PAL. Had them on an old Grizzly contractors saw. They are an inexpensive and slick way to simply dial in the alignment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - Success

Thanks for your good advice. I got the blade alignment from .082 to .002, enlarging the bracket holes with a file and using PALS for the fine adjustment.:scooter:

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Get some hardened washers (Garage door hardware) and try again. As the washers get deformed from tightening they tend to push the trunnion back into the "out of alignment" position. The washers will help more than you think.

Also if there are lock washers in the split variety they could be kicking up a burr and causing misalignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts