Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am more interested in making some nicer stuff I want to upgrade my table saw. I would like to see your guys thoughts would a good quality contractors saw (delta,Dewalt or rigid) be good or should I splurge on a cabinet type of saw ? I don't really need a huge table but I want a very good fence system. One other thing to consider is I don't have 220v readily available in my shop.

Thank you
Peter

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
You'll never regret buying the better saw if you can afford it, but you really need 220v to get into a big 3hp cabinet saw. I wouldn't go with a traditional contractor saw in this day and age....in the past 4 or 5 years, the hybrid saw has evolved into the next best choice for a homeshop if can't go with an industrial cabinet saw. There are many models to choose from starting at as low as $400 on sale. The hybrids are essentially a contractor saw with the motor moved inside....they offer many of the same advantages as a cabinets saw, and some have full enclosures like a cabinet saw....some even have cabinet mounted trunnions. There are a lot of benefits to moving the motor inside, and no disadvantages unless you need to access the motor frequently. Putting the motor inside gives better dust collection, takes up less space, has a drive belt that's more efficient and vibrates less, often has more mass, and has none of the issues of having the motor hanging off the back.

You'll find good hybrid models from Jet, Delta, DeWalt, Craftsman, Steel City, Shop Fox, General International, Grizzly, Hitachi, Woodtek, and Sunhill.

Here's the back of the Grizzly G0478 hybrid:

Compared to the back of a conventional contractor saw with outboard motor (Jet in this case):

Link to previous discussion.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Now that I am more interested in making some nicer stuff I want to upgrade my table saw. I would like to see your guys thoughts would a good quality contractors saw (delta,Dewalt or rigid) be good or should I splurge on a cabinet type of saw ? I don't really need a huge table but I want a very good fence system. One other thing to consider is I don't have 220v readily available in my shop.

Thank you
Peter

Upgrading your saw "to make nicer stuff", may have little to do with your saw. When I started out my "table saw" was a circular saw mounted underneath a piece of plywood, and used a clamped on fence. I made "nice stuff" with that set up. Upgrading that saw was going to a larger piece of plywood.

I've had many types of saws, and will agree with those who like cabinet saws better. I've used many types of both cabinet saws and contractors saws, and I won't berate a contractors saw. You can do most anything on either.

Both types of saws would have to be set up for your power availability. What I will say about table saws, is to have them set up right, have a good fence system, and a good blade will make a world of difference.

Last but not least is the operator (you). If your saw is set up properly, your proficiency above all will be the determining factor, not the equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts