Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I've been itching to share this with all of you and still don't have my professional pictures yet but these will have to do. Some of you may remember that I had started a thread that was going to be a build thread of my semester in the woodworking school. Well, that clearly didn't work to well as I didn't post to it regularly. However, I spent a lot of my time designing and building a contemporary writing desk. In the end it's about 220 hours worth of labor. It has 8 drawers all with hand-cut dovetails, 82 in all. I managed to cut all 8 drawers in 3 days. all round-overs are done by hand, no router used, same goes for the legs, roughed on the bandsaw, then finished by hand. Here's just some shop photos of the piece. The first pic is me with my desk during the school walk-through at the end of the semester.

One last note. For those of you interested in my work, I've begun a blog and am going to try like hell to keep it updated regularly. You'll see what's happening currently; works in progress, shows, exhibitions, etc. You can subscribe to it in order to receive email alerts when I post new info. The blog is here. www.tjgwoodworking.wordpress.com
Thanks guys!

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Tyler
What a great looking desk. I like the design and lines. You've done well with that young man. I can only guess what the wood is. Cherry and maple? Ash? Do tell man. Finish?

This is one of the best pieces I've seem in this forum.

Al B Thayer

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Al. Your first two choices are correct, Cherry and Maple. They are my favorites to work with mainly for how well they compliment each other. The finish is a semi-gloss Poly. I'm hoping to have professional photos later this week which have some detail shots as well.

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
tymann09 said:
Thanks a lot Al. Your first two choices are correct, Cherry and Maple. They are my favorites to work with mainly for how well they compliment each other. The finish is a semi-gloss Poly. I'm hoping to have professional photos later this week which have some detail shots as well.
I work almost exclusively with cherry. It's truly well suited for fine furniture like this one. Sometimes I make the tops from cherry and the legs and skirt from walnut. After a few years they get closer in color. Normally I don't like contrasting colors in woodwork but your design and balance doesn't get lost.

We'll be looking forward to more photos.

Al

· Registered
909 Posts
That is great! One of my early projects was some office furniture my wife found plans for... that called for trimming MDF with pine. After that project, I think my time is worth using better materials. That maple and cherry looks awesome!

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys. as i said in an earlier post, i will have professional pictures later this week which include detail shots. the dovetails will be one of those shots. however i must warn you, i cut them extremely fast, so they aren't perfect. I had wanted to do single entry on the half blinds but time constraints wouldn't allow me to do so.

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
tymann09 said:
thanks guys. as i said in an earlier post, i will have professional pictures later this week which include detail shots. the dovetails will be one of those shots. however i must warn you, i cut them extremely fast, so they aren't perfect. I had wanted to do single entry on the half blinds but time constraints wouldn't allow me to do so.
I can admire hand cuts cut fast. If there is a price on your time. Besides prefect can be very over rated. Especially when it's not the main focus.

Al

· Registered
2,365 Posts
When all the details look "perfect" it screams machine cut mass produced. Minor variations are more to the "handmade" liking.

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That is one awesome looking desk. Makes me want to sit and write a letter to my Grandma. Keep up the excellent craftsmanship. And thanks for keeping a lost artform around a little while longer!!

· Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, I received the professional pics I was talking about. Here's a few of the better shots. Unfortunately the lights were a little bright so the wood looks a tad washed out. Also, the half-blind dovetails shouldn't be that close to the drawer face. That was one mistake I made, I learned after all 84 dovetails were cut that typically you leave a third of the material. Oh well.

· Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
tymann09 said:
Well, I received the professional pics I was talking about. Here's a few of the better shots. Unfortunately the lights were a little bright so the wood looks a tad washed out. Also, the half-blind dovetails shouldn't be that close to the drawer face. That was one mistake I made, I learned after all 84 dovetails were cut that typically you leave a third of the material. Oh well.
Okay, how many of you guys picked the close shot of the hand cut dove tails first? :)

Thanks for the detail picks.

Al

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.