Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good enough is good enough!

Someone far wiser than I said that sometimes you must leave well enough alone. I decided to forgo the inlay on the outer edges of the legs. I went ahead and did the "glue-up" - I actually used JB Weld's wood epoxy - and reinforced it with 2 1/2" scews. It actually can hold a fat man! Now I will be able to finish out the top.

BTW ... Since I am wearing my UT hoodie, I am obligated to say, "Hook'em Horns!!!"

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Well done. :thumbsup:

Looks smaller once someone is sitting on it.

I like the slanted legs of Phaedrus's terrific doggy table. I think if you did another one, matching the curve of your top with slanted legs may look even better.

How about a final shot of the top with the finish applied. You were teasing up a few posts ago with some water to show how good the maple looks.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Well done. :thumbsup:

Looks smaller once someone is sitting on it.

I like the slanted legs of Phaedrus's terrific doggy table. I think if you did another one, matching the curve of your top with slanted legs may look even better.

How about a final shot of the top with the finish applied. You were teasing up a few posts ago with some water to show how good the maple looks.
I was thinking the very same thing about the size, unless you are just a giant. Don't get me wrong, those are still some substantial pieces of wood, but not as big as i had thought. A while back this year, there was a four-legged stool (perhaps made by Oldmacnut?) with a bunch of grinder usage to remove material and shape the surface like this. I like that yours combines the flowing curves and shaped seat with some nice crisp edges along the front. I can imagine perhaps two of these and a pair of similarly built benches with a matching table. I can't wait to see how this ends up!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was thinking the very same thing about the size, unless you are just a giant. Don't get me wrong, those are still some substantial pieces of wood, but not as big as i had thought.
To satisfy my curiosity I weighed the bench. It came out right at 14lbs.

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Spent a couple hours refining the seat. I trimmed the legs to be smooth with seat. I pulled out the tape measure and discovered that one side was an 1/8" thicker than the other. I pulled out the angle grinder, rasps, block plane, and sanding disks to even it out. Since there are only refinement work left on the bench, I got a little impatient to start the next project and so the glue-ups began. The bench is in the background of the pic.

In case you are wondering what the next project will be, it is the Machinist Chest found in Woodsmith Magazine #183. Mine will be made from Silver Maple.

Attachments

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
I learned something new today. It never occured to me to use and angle grinder with wood. I use mine for just metal and thought that was it always was used for.

Oh man, the things you can do with an angle grinder. I first learned about using them last year, I did my shop stool with my grinder..

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Awesome stool, oldmacnut!

Thanks.
Including the grinder in some projects is a must now, great tool to have. However I do not use the blade with the chainsaw edge, the idea of that just scares me.

I'll make a cherry version of that bench after the holidays, was alot of fun to make.

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
I am in the home stretch now. Tonight I sanded the whole thing down to 220 grit and cut and fit the Katalox (Mexican Ebony) plugs. Health Note: If you use Katalox, make sure you wear good respiration. The first time I used it my sinus went haywire and I couldn't stop sneezing and having water eyes for about 20 minutes. I don't remember which episode it was, but the technique for making the plugs I learned from the Woodwhisperer (it was one of the ones he did on Greene and Greene-style furniture). AND I put on the first coat of shellac!

I found the Woodwhisperer episode for making plugs. It is #116 - Ebony Plugs.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Great job, Thomas. This bench is looking very cool so far. And that maple is incredible!

EDIT: Oh, there's a second page...

I see you got the bench done already. Wow! That's one sweet looking bench. Well done.

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Consummatum est.

It is finally finished. It was a really fun project to do, getting to try new things is always awesome. I admit I was intimidated by the angle grinder carving, but taking it slow and being cautious worked out well. I think I will find a few more opportunities to use that technique again. Besides, thanks to Phaedrus' awesome dog table design, I now have a matching writing table to make. There are a few errors in the project that just scream out to me, but I have come to find that what I consider a massively obvious flaw (thats what dwelling on a problem over the course of several days will do to you), most people who aren't woodworkers don't notice.

Anyway, the finish was four coats of Bulls Eye Amber Shellac (3# Cut). BTW this was my first time using shellac. I did a light sanding with 800 grit sandpaper in between coats.

Thanks for all the encouragement, help, and suggestions. ...On to the next project.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts