Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wood Tinkerer
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to undertake a huge deck project at my home and have a quick question regarding lumber costs.

Haven't decided whether I'm going Treated or Cedar yet, but wondering if lumber costs are cheaper in the cold months than they might be in the warm months when one would expect demand to be more?

Any expertise would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
I'm about to undertake a huge deck project at my home and have a quick question regarding lumber costs.

Haven't decided whether I'm going Treated or Cedar yet, but wondering if lumber costs are cheaper in the cold months than they might be in the warm months when one would expect demand to be more?

Any expertise would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have never found construction lumber prices to be seasonal on cedar or treated wood in any of the 14 states I've lived in over the years. That said, I've primarily bought this type of stuff at big box stores, and it may be different at smaller lumber yards.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It seems it could go both ways. Yes tere not moving nearly the same amount of lumber at the stores so maybe the cost goes up slightly to compensate?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have never seen lumber costs change seasonally. ocassionally where I live, they will run seasonal "sales" on decking or dimensional lumber, but typically the sale is along the lines of 5% off, or something that barely makes it worthwhile.

Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts