Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At vertical corners I have 2x4 studs meeting at right angle but just touching along edges. I want to make a rounded corner using 6" plastic sewer pipe- about 1/4 of its circumference. How do I attach the long edges of the pipe segment to the faces of the studs with no attachment hardware showing from the outside? I want a flush surface along the walls and right around the corner.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If you are doing what I think you are doing, 6" pipe won't work - to round that corner is a 1&1/2" radius, a quarter of a 6" pipe will be on a 3" radius. I'd take a 2X2 and round over one corner then glue in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stud will allow up to 3.5" radius. The pipe has 3.14" inside radius and wall thickness of 0.18" So the pipe would work and give a large radius corner if I could find a way to attach it to the two studs. In this case I am also putting 1/4" plywood on the walls instead of gypsum board.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
ginghis said:
The stud will allow up to 3.5" radius. The pipe has 3.14" inside radius and wall thickness of 0.18" So the pipe would work and give a large radius corner if I could find a way to attach it to the two studs. In this case I am also putting 1/4" plywood on the walls instead of gypsum board.
I think you may be confusing radius and diameter? A 3.5" radius would completely engulf a 2x4, since a circle with a radius of 3.5" has a diameter of 7". The thickness of your 2x4 - 1.5" - should equal the radius to fill the space between and have it flush out.

So yeah, I'm with Alchymist, 1.5"x1.5" quarter round is the way to go IMO.

Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pipe segment is 1/4 of the circumference

Looking at the corner you see a "V" made by the 2x4's. The pipe would be cut longitudinally twice to get about a quarter of the circumference. This would make the large radius (3.14") corner if it could be attached.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts