Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27,769 Posts
I think it should have something toward the front if only a dowel rod through the segments. I see over time the spaces between the segments changing to where they are not uniform. As it is it looks like something to look at but not to use.

·
Registered
Termite
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think it should have something toward the front if only a dowel rod through the segments. I see over time the spaces between the segments changing to where they are not uniform. As it is it looks like something to look at but not to use.
I was thinhing an aluminum rod...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Looking only at what Rebelwork has already mentioned- the potential for abuse (idiot factor), someone will eventually decide to stand on the bench- not unheard of- with feet only on two of the rib projections at the front. There's going to be a lot of torque applied to the the rails (esp. the top one) where they're connected across the back. You're essentially creating a crowbar, liable to destroy the upper rail/rib joint, or pulling out the fastener. As suggested, a supporting rid traversing through the fronts of the ribs and end pieces, would help greatly in distributing the stress over several vertebrae. Function over form. [Maybe I need to take some lessons from the guy in the Progressive ads ("can't save you from being your parents...")]

·
Registered
512 Posts
The consensus here seems to be that this bench is not very strong. I would love to see someone prove or disprove it with a mathematical analysis. He/she would need some dimensions or some good approximations. I for one would be willing to make a small wager that it is strong enough to stand on; especially since one would be hard pressed to get their foot/feet on just one rib.

·
Premium Member
6,252 Posts
The way this bench is constructed makes it an interesting piece, additional support will take away the wow factor. There are two ways to look at projects, with appreciation, or to find fault and ways to improve it, in this case less is more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
the weak link is the 4 screws holding the bottom x-member on the ends.
The joint is also glued, but I agree. The two horizontal pieces are 1.5" x 2" (40mm x 50mm) and 6.25" outside edge to outside edge, so pretty wide. The horizontals will twist a bit when our lardo stands in the middle, but I would think that oak or similar would survive.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
for such a fancy piece, the joinery is somewhat entry level...

i think it would be improved if the horizontal rails were properly through-tenoned (and pinned) into the sides. if "screws through the back" is to be kept for the ribs, they should be longggg wood screws (not drywall).

i know the furniture maker in all of us would like to see additional support in the front, but there is something appealing about the design.

·
Registered
27,769 Posts
The consensus here seems to be that this bench is not very strong. I would love to see someone prove or disprove it with a mathematical analysis. He/she would need some dimensions or some good approximations. I for one would be willing to make a small wager that it is strong enough to stand on; especially since one would be hard pressed to get their foot/feet on just one r
One of the problems people have when they design something like that is they lack the experience of how it will preform over time. Sure you could build one and stand on it when it is new but it could easily break after a year or two of normal use. Wood is constantly moving and pulling at the joints. Personally I think it will fail aesthetically first, some of the spaces between the segments will start closing up where they will have to go in and add some kind of spacers.

·
Registered
Termite
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks like he screwed and maybe plugged the holes. He could have long rods in there. Don't know.

I don't think it's going to move much with age, if it's even noticeable...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Since the two horizontals are connected at each rib, I think it will act as a 2 x 6 and be pretty sturdy.

Steve Neul's comment on it getting looser with time and use sounds right.

I don't see what the pic in post #31 is showing, in terms of reinforcement.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since the two horizontals are connected at each rib, I think it will act as a 2 x 6 and be pretty sturdy.

Middle pieces from pine are located a little bit high than the original picture. It's just a joke from "Rebelwork". HAHAHA.

·
Registered
941 Posts
To answer your question; Absolutely nothing.
The cosmetic router cut along the upper edge of the cantilevered pieces is just that, cosmetic. In no way can it add to the strength of the piece and it doesn't appear that enough material has been removed that would result in a substantial loss of strength either.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
Termite
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

It's just a detail to the build.. I don't think it will get looser over time...

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
There has been some discussion about the actual bench as built. Some of those comments seem to be based on the PDF drawings that @K1ngwind posted above. The drawings are helpful, but have we established that the actual bench in the photos is the same as what was drawn? I suspect not.

I think the reason that the rear screws or dowels on the upper and lower rails are offset relative to each other is to increase strength and improve resistance to left/right motion (side-to-side) at the tips of the tines on the front of the bench.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts