Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question, but if you are wondering how this is constructed, it appears to me that the individual light colored vertical members are cantilevered from the horizontal "beam" in the back. I don't think there is any other support.

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not confused on its construction. Curious if it has another means of supporting the vertabra?

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a nice bench, and I like the cantilevered design. I wonder if the load is evenly distributed so that it doesn't tip forward.
It probably makes a nice piece, but tipping or standing on it not so much..

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess to cover it's weight stability, I would add a aluminum rod towards the front..

I use to look at a lot of "vertabra" table designs..

·
Registered
479 Posts
It probably makes a nice piece, but tipping or standing on it not so much..
When sitting or standing on it, all of the forces will be the same as if the top was fastened directly to the sides as with typical construction. The only difference is that a force on the front edge, in this case, is transmitted to the rear "beam" and then via the connection of the "beam" to the sides. This is what a cantilever does. There is nothing unstable about it so long as the individual members are strong enough to transmit the loads without breaking.

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If 300 pound mama uses it to hang a picture and steps on only one, this concerns me. It's not distributed...

I was looking at functional without concern.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If 300 pound mama uses it to hang a picture and steps on only one, this concerns me. It's not distributed...

I was looking at functional without concern.
Again. Your concern about the strength of individual members may be legitimate. That does not mean the whole piece is unstable. Assuming sufficient strength and stiffness of all members, all loads are going to be transmitted to the same points on the floor. If the "ribs" extended beyond the front edge of the side vertical supports, then you might have stability concerns.

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are stability concerns.

A piece like this may be viewed
Or
A piece maybe be used
Or
A piece may be abused.

Being a former furniture maker I have to look at everything..

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
from an engineering standpoint, it's as stable as any bench with the same end profile
there's 20 screws in tension holding the vertebrae in place.
i'd be hard to point load a single screw sitting on it.
the weak link is the 4 screws holding the bottom x-member on the ends.

300lb lardo, didn't get 300lbs hanging their own pics 😂

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at a way to get rid of some walnut and maple. I've had the picture for some time. If I decide to build ill add a rod either way..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can definitely be wrong, but as I see it:
The rod would only be required if any one of the fingers "broke loose" from the cross members in the back. If the connections at the cross members is that bad, I don't think the rod would prevent the adjacent fingers from also breaking.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There are stability concerns.

A piece like this may be viewed
Or
A piece maybe be used
Or
A piece may be abused.

Being a former furniture maker I have to look at everything..
My two cents but me thinks that is something to look at and not something to really be used. The bench down at the park looks more comfortable to sit in. Regardless, a great looking design.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I wanted to know if there was an unseen support through the middle of the "ribs" where they could not be seen in the photos, so I found the original source. I was wrong - the ribs are supported only from behind.

I like and admire unique, clever, innovative modern designs like these, especially those "floaty" designs that seem to violate basic engineering rules, but work.

In case anyone wants to see the original website, here it is:

·
Registered
Termite
5,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's it , you cant see I only saw two pictures at Rollands site.

I spend so many years making stuff for customers , I'm starting to view old pictures I might be interested in from the computer

1 - 20 of 41 Posts