Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think its a 7 type 7 - single pat date at rear stating 1895. The other details point to type 7 as well but there are two adjustment screws to the frog - one for the frog and one to the plane bottom.

I've named it " the battleship". Been great using it.

Attachments

·
amateur
235 Posts
Pull the frog off and take a picture of the base of the plane near the mouth where the frog goes and the bottom of the frog. We'll be able to tell whether it is a Stanley Bedrock or not.

Greg

Reactions: gideon

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I got this at auction. There was a tag on it which said bedrock but i thought it was a stanley/bailey as it says No 7 up front.

I also read that the frog adjustment screws first showed up on the bedrock and then on the stanley line around type 11 or so. So this is quite a bit older so I am guessing its a bedrock. I didn't puit the pieces of information together.

Would it have had a bedrock cap? the one thats on it is blank. If it is a bedrock, would it technically be a 607? what type would it be? a 1, 2?

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
In the first pictures I was not sure of the frog screws were at an angle.

The latest pictures illustrate where Stanley got the design for the frog adjustment in the Bailey planes.

Very nice old Bedrock. You did good with this purchase. A bit of a gem.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the first pictures I was not sure of the frog screws were at an angle.

The latest pictures illustrate where Stanley got the design for the frog adjustment in the Bailey planes.

Very nice old Bedrock. You did good with this purchase. A bit of a gem.

Got it at an auction near allentown. They do a lot of handtools and get some harder to find stuff in. There are a lot of tool collectors who go to this place which is great for me. If they have it, they don't care. So a more unusual plane can go for 100 and I can grab planes like this one for about 10, which is about what I paid for this one. I've used it on 4 projects now and its really been a great user.

·
7,222 Posts
Got it at an auction near allentown. They do a lot of handtools and get some harder to find stuff in. There are a lot of tool collectors who go to this place which is great for me. QUOTE]

What is the name of this place? I should pay a visit. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got it at an auction near allentown. They do a lot of handtools and get some harder to find stuff in. There are a lot of tool collectors who go to this place which is great for me. QUOTE]

What is the name of this place? I should pay a visit. :icon_smile:
I honestly forget the names of all these places. I only remember the place when I'm there again.

Before I got booked solid on custom orders, I would go to 3 or 4 auctions per week all over the state. Towns wind up looking the same, tne same people types, the same spread of food, intersections and main streets blend together. It gets like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts