Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on a dining table now that I want to finish black. I bought ebony transtint dye to do this. So my question. Is should I use a wood conditioner under the dye to keep the color even. The table is made from pine 2x6

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The great thing about dyes is that they leave a very uniform color on their own. Wood conditioner is typically used to seal up the thirsty pores so they don't absorb more stain than the surrounding fibers. A dye penetrates the wood pretty evenly and dyes the wood fibers rather than simple leaves a stain on top of the wood.

You can also apply additional coats of dye to darken the wood color until you get the color you're after.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's what I initially thought but I watched the wood whispers video about dyes and he mentioned that they could come through blotchy as well so I wanted to ask here.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even when sprayed do you not need to wipe off the excess though. At least that was the impression. I was under from once again the wood whisper video. Maybe I need to stop watching lol. He did spray with a spray bottle though. I have am hvlp is that the prefered method.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrighty thank you for the help. I will try it out on some scrap and see how it goes. If not so well then I will be back lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts