Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wood machinist
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built two of these for a friend and just finished them today. They're about 10" x 13" x 2" and made of Walnut, finished in Nitrocellulose lacquer. The frame holds an 8x10 photo.

005 - Concealment frames, Walnut.jpg

006 - Concealment frames, Walnut.jpg

007 - Concealment frames, Walnut.jpg

008 - Concealment frames, Walnut.jpg

David

·
3,231 Posts
that's pretty slick, David !! well done.
the magnets are a nice touch.

Reactions: difalkner

·
Wood machinist
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, George. When I bought these I didn't realize just how strong they were and the 3/4" magnets were not in stock, so I bought 1" magnets. Once the frame is mounted to the wall I think the weapon will come off easily enough.

There's typically not a huge flat spot on the top of most weapons where these can truly grab hold of, they sort of grab along the top rail and that's not more than 3/8" to 1/2" on most and even ribbed on some.

David

·
3,231 Posts
when the adrenaline is pumping from a "reason" to grab the weapon
in a hurry - the homeowner will not even notice the slight resistance
of the magnets. I personally would not change them.

I have had to face an unknown threat at night with my handgun.
the adrenaline was pumping like mad.
thankfully, the raccoon rambled back into the woods from whence it came.

·
Wood machinist
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the same thing, John. I doubt those magnets will slow anyone down in a pressure situation. But the weapon sure isn't going to fall due to gravity, either! :wink:

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice project & craftsmanship David. Enjoy seeing your many projects. Do you use any software for your designs?

·
Wood machinist
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice project & craftsmanship David. Enjoy seeing your many projects. Do you use any software for your designs?
Thanks, Ron! I will occasionally use CorelDraw if I'm trying to work out a design in my head and need to draw something to scale, to verify what I see in my head. For my CNC work everything is driven by what I draw/design on the computer, even if the idea started with an idea in the middle of the night and later sketched on a piece of paper.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts