Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone can shed light on the subject of composite decking. Is it good? Is it bad? Are looking at installing and wonder if anyone has had any good/bad experience with the product. Live in Cdn climate where you get extreme weather conditions. With thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd go with TREX. Pay close attention too the temperature and gap the material accordingly when installing. Composite decking has some great qualities such as; less maintenance, weather resistance, no splinters, etc. It does expand and contract drastically :eek:, though.

An example of this: Last winter some guys in my company installed Trex on a deck, gapping it 1/8". When summer came along the Trex expanded so much it pushed the rim joist away from the end of the joist. I live in the "banana belt" of oregon where the temps year round average 40 too 75 degrees.

They do make a plastic speed square/ decking spacer jig that has a 1/4" spacer on one side and a 3/8" spacer on the other side that they throw in with your' material. One side of will say "below 60*" and the other side will say "above 60*"

Anyways, I'd use it on my deck. Hope I helped.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts