Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to make a serving tray like Norm Abrams made though without the dovetails. Thus the long edges will meet at the corners. The complex 45 degree joinery in the project requires similar mitered corners of crown molding. I have both a compound miter saw and a table saw. How can I simply make the joints and would biscuits be possible to join the corners?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Glue joints on flat surfaces don't work nearly as well as dovetails, bisquits, dowels, or some other reinforcing mechanism. There are modified rabits, but they get complicated with angles.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts

Im trying to make a serving tray like Norm Abrams made though without the dovetails. Thus the long edges will meet at the corners. The complex 45 degree joinery in the project requires similar mitered corners of crown molding. I have both a compound miter saw and a table saw. How can I simply make the joints and would biscuits be possible to join the corners?

A picture or rough drawing would help describe what you're referring to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im trying to make a serving tray like Norm Abrams made though without the dovetails. Thus the long edges will meet at the corners. The complex 45 degree joinery in the project requires similar mitered corners of crown molding.

Splines or biscuits are a good idea to maintain alignment, but I still have the problem of how to "pull" both sticks together at the miter to form a very tight, seamless joint, keeping in mind this is a 36" long joint.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
When I have had this problem, once I have my angles all correct, using a table saw I mortise a slot in both peices and then cut a thin slice (the tendent) of wood that fits the slot.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Raplin9 and Alexfleming9 are one and the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts