Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting a new router table and looking at the Kreg PRS 1040 and the Rockler Pro Phenalic.
Any suggestions as to which way to go.
Both are on sale so I decided this was the time to buy and both are the same price.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you have a plan for a plate or lift? I have seen both and I would put my money into the rockler phenolic. but the more important question is what are you going to do after you get it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been looking at the Incra RT Combo 3 since yesterday.
It costs quite a bit more but looks like a great system.
But is it worth $300 more???

·
John
3,028 Posts
Been looking at the Incra RT Combo 3 since yesterday.
It costs quite a bit more but looks like a great system.
But is it worth $300 more???
INCRA is a fine system, I have several things from them and they are all top notch. Is it worth $300 more, depends what you are looking for. If this is a first table and you are just getting your feet wet in router tables, this may be more suited:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432
Just a basic table to get you started, after using one awhile, you will be better equipped to decide what you need or don't need in one. Router tables are very versatile and usually end up customized for the user, by the user.:smile:

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
Over the past 30 years I've gone through a lot of router tables and fences, each one a bit more advanced than the previous one. I built my own for years and got along fine. Eventually I upgraded to the Incra LS 17 fence system. From an accuracy standpoint, the table and fence probably weren't significantly more accurate or easy to use than previous ones I'd built. HOWEVER...the notion of repeatability and the companion joinery system were well worth the price. Bottom line, IMHO, you can get excellent results from a shop-built router table and fence without a lot of expense and can do nearly anything (not all) on the shop-built that you might do on an Incra. It won't "Tell" as good but you can save a lot of money to buy bits going that route. I would also recommend a lift but that's often a function of budget. Routers like the Milwaukee 5625, Freud 3000 and others allow above the table adjustments without the added expense of a lift and I sure find it darned handy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts