Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not nearly on the level as most of you but I recently unboxed my planer so I could process some lumber my dad rough cut over 40 years ago. My siblings and I have since hauled these 16’ black walnut boards from house to house whenever we moved and my dad never did anything with them.

He passed away last year and we are having a reunion to celebrate his life next month so I grabbed a couple of the boards and wanted to do something special with them for my siblings and I to share. Since we all do woodworking in some form or another but none of use had nice mallets I figured I’d give those a try. Here is prototype one, Virginia black walnut from my grandparents place, with Michigan Maple (state my dad lived in the past 27 years and I still reside in, and Pennsylvania Osage Orange wedge which is the state we all used to live together in before my siblings started moving out of the house.

Haven’t finished it yet as I’m debating trying to laser etch something in the side of the head.

Thought and recommendations welcome.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I think a laser etching would be very nice.

I also recommend taking a spokeshave to that handle to give it a little waist. It makes a huge difference to the feel and looks.

Reactions: Bob Bengal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind words.

I think a laser etching would be very nice.

I also recommend taking a spokeshave to that handle to give it a little waist. It makes a huge difference to the feel and looks.
Intrigued by your suggestion but not sure I fully understand what you mean by giving it a little waist? I don’t currently have a spokeshave plane but am not opposed to picking one up (recommendations welcome on a good one at reasonable price)

·
Premium Member
A cat made me do it.
1,421 Posts
Intrigued by your suggestion but not sure I fully understand what you mean by giving it a little waist? I don’t currently have a spokeshave plane but am not opposed to picking one up (recommendations welcome on a good one at reasonable price)
I would describe it as a small bulge at the end of the handle, look at a store bought hammer etc. It gives you intuitive hand placement and you need far less grip to keep your placement. Also more comfortable than having the handle end touching the edge of your palm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts