Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, my names Matt. I'm 21 years old and live in Stephenville, Texas!

I have always helped my dad with projects but it has been pretty much only with 2x4's and plywood etc etc for projects. Nothing to crazy.

However just recently I aquired a rather large cedar plank and decided I would make a coffee table out of this, and for me this is the biggest project I have done yet! And so far am loving it, and have had several folks ask me to make somethin for them similar, which I'm pretty excited about!

By no means am I an expert, I would actually say I'm probably the farthest thing from a skilled wood worker at the moment (aside from basic basic stuff). But want to learn much more! And figured this would be the place to go! I am limited in my funds and tools which limits a lot of stuff for me, but one day ill get there!

Here's my coffee table so far! I am still in the process of applying a high gloss polyurethane on there to finish it out!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Welcome Matt,

That table is looking good.

Matt most of us started woodworking with very little in the way of tools and equipment.

Be patient, look for deals and buy them as your able.

If friends and family want you to build for them charge them a nominal fee and invest the money in tools, books etc.

Buy what you need for a particular project.

Craigslist and yard sales are good places to start.

If you're not sure about something ask us. You'll be amazed how knowledgeable the folks here are.

Subscribe to a couple of WWing magazines. There are multiple threads here on that subject. Just do a search.

Scour your local library for books.

Hit YouTube and watch the videos there when you have the time.

Your confidence will grow with everything you learn and every project you complete.

Nice to have you here!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
From New Hampshire... welcome Matt! Nice looking table, much better then my 1st project. Jharris2 is giving you good advise. Only buy tools you need for current projects. May I add that when you need projects - think of your workshop. Build a nice workbench, or router table, or tool cabinet, or a sanding table etc. etc. etc. Workshop projects are the best "practice" projects. If you have a sloppy joint in the build... chances are you can still use the build in your shop.

Don't be shy - ask questions and welcome to a great forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts