Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here is my router.... its an oldie but a goodie.

ok so after making a 1" thick router table with no "plate" I find I need to extend the router bit.

The collet I have in the router now is 1/4" I am trying to remove the 1/4" collet to put in a 1/2 collet so I can use an extension as I have not found ANY 1/4" collet extensions. the MLCS is 1/2" which is the one I want to use....no allen.

So what it the procedure for removing the collet? I have tried everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
never mind....

i just found out that the 1/2 collet is no longer made for this router.

ok so the next question is....

does anyone know of a 1/4" extension -- non allen wrench type?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've never seen one, and I'd guess it's because a 1/4" shank just doesn't have to stiffness required for an extension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you know on second thought.... I'm not so sure I want an extension on a 1/4 shaft.

but... thanks for listening!

·
John
3,028 Posts
I dunno what your plan B is but mine would be to pick up a router plate.
Last I heard the plate for this router table
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Table-with-Stand/T10432
can be picked up pretty cheap from Grizzly if ordered as a replacement part, ie. phone order. It is item #47 on the parts list and is part #10432047.
It is a 9"x12" phenolic plate that would give you about an extra 3/4" depth of cut.
You're right, no one makes/sells a 1/4" collet extension, likely because of liability concerns. I have a 1/2" extension and I don't like the thing. I will only use it if there is absolutely no other option, which isn't often. :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts