Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Reliant shaper that has 3 cutter arbors, 1/2, 3/4, & 1" plus one 1/2" collet.
Does anyone know what the spec is on the spindle taper for these machines? From what I read this was used on some Jet machines and also Accura.
Kind of looks like a small version of the NMBT tapers used on machine tools but I can't find specs for sizes smaller than a 30 taper.

What I would like to find out is if there were ever any 1/4 & 3/8 collets made for this spindle taper.
It would also be nice to find an 1-1/4" cutter arbor since there seems to be a much wider selection of cutters available in 1-1/4" hole size.

Cylinder Tool Bicycle part Auto part Gun accessory

·
where's my table saw?
29,921 Posts
If you are wanting the smaller collets ro run small shank router bits, they won't work well, if at all.
The shaper's max RPMs is about 10,000. Those small router bits are designed for about 18,000 to 20,000 RPMs.
Also I don't think a larger arbor which may stress the bearings is a good idea.
Your solution <JMO< is to get a router table and router, and a better shaper with the larger arbor.
Grizzly makes a decent 3 HP for around $1,000. I used to have one years ago. I traded it for a $3,000 custom steel resonator guitar.
Granted Grizzly is not a high end shaper, but neither is the Reliant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't intend to use very small cutters. It's just that I have some of the form cutters I have are with 1/4" shanks. I've had good result with 1-1/4 dia cutters.
As far as the 1-1/4" arbor, I don't intend to use particularly large cutters either. I have one or two that are around 4" dia with 1" hole.
If I don't go over that, a 1-1/4" hole wouldn't cause any issues.

I suppose I could use a straight collet reducer to go from 1/2" to 3/8 or 1/4"

·
mike44
retired carpenter and farmer
386 Posts
I don't intend to use very small cutters. It's just that I have some of the form cutters I have are with 1/4" shanks. I've had good result with 1-1/4 dia cutters.
As far as the 1-1/4" arbor, I don't intend to use particularly large cutters either. I have one or two that are around 4" dia with 1" hole.
If I don't go over that, a 1-1/4" hole wouldn't cause any issues.

I suppose I could use a straight collet reducer to go from 1/2" to 3/8 or 1/4"
When I retired as a carpenter I got a job with Wood Workers Warehouse that is now defunct. We sold Reliant tools . The shaper was one of the tools that never got complaints. I am not sure if Jet, Grizzly or other importers would have what you want. Try talking to a tech and include as much information as possible. Include dimensions if you can.
Also there is a forum for older tools, I do not recall the name.
Also try Accura , I believe they have the same parts as Reliant did
mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts