Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My workshop is in a Detached 1-1/2 car garage and I live in the Buffalo, NY area so it's a bit cold out there. I have a propane space heater I use to get it so I don't have to wear gloves while I work but that's about it.

I am building a play table for my Son out of Birch Ply and I want to apply some sort of protective finish on it. Everything I have looked at so far needs the temperature to be around 70 degrees. That is just not going to happen unless I manage to get my wife to let me apply the finish in the living room...:laughing: even then I would have to somehow keep the dog and cats off it while it dries.

So, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey mdlbldrmatt135,
FYI (you probably know this but...) You really need to be careful of flammable materials near a furnace. I've heard of a few horror stories. My wife won't even let me use latex in the basement ("I know it's water based but you never know" is what she says. that's fine, she lets me set up in the kitchen)

Be careful.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Oh trust me.... I Build models in the Basement...... I have a spraybooth set up. I stay as far away from the furnace as I can. Not to mention I Avoid any Large projects down there anyway.........

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yep. Building models as well and that "shop" is down there..... I have a spraybooth setup...... It limits me to smaller projects...... btu I can finish them without problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey mdlbldrmatt135,
FYI (you probably know this but...) You really need to be careful of flammable materials near a furnace. I've heard of a few horror stories. My wife won't even let me use latex in the basement ("I know it's water based but you never know" is what she says. that's fine, she lets me set up in the kitchen)

In the kitchen, right next to the gas stove? :shifty:

·
Registered
148 Posts
In the same boat here!

I use a kerosene torpedo that gets the garage up to about 65-70 if I let it run long enough, but no way I'm gonna let the thing burn all night while I sleep.

The kitchen is out for me because the kitchen is small and the house is small, and I don't wanna stink the joint up.

Only thing I can think of is to find a finish that can be handled after a few hours of dry time. Warm the garage up, apply the finish, let it sit with the heat on for four hours or so until the initial dry, then haul it into the house for the rest of the dry time.

Other than that, it's only about four more months until Spring... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try sand sealer for a clear finish. Dries in less than a hour. Can be sanded and reapplied, to get a heavier finish. The more coats you put on , the shinier it gets..It's not a hard finish as urathane is, but it will hold you over until it gets worm enuff to put urathane on for that long lasting finish

1 - 12 of 12 Posts