Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ran across some interesting wood. Osage Orange or hedge. I decided to get some and make a coffee table out of it. I love the golden yellow, which will go great in our living room. I am going to keep it as a live edge with one side wrapping over as a support. Haven't decided what to do on the other side for support yet. Attached is a pic of the slab. It has quite a crack down the middle so ill have to put in a few bow ties. Never done that, so this will be the first. As I go through this, I'd appreciate any and all all feedback during this project. The first question is how thick should I get this cut? I am thinking two inches but maybe I don't need it that thick. It is around 24" across and obviously wider at the Y. Probably make it 4' long. Let the feedback begin.

image-1541980708.jpg

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I found that out a couple of days ago. Correct me if I am wrong but I understand that it will take several years to change. I guess I'll just sand it down again at some point.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You might ask your local paint store for a clear finish with UV blocker in it. I know I have seen some advertised in the past but don't recall the brand. As I remember it was in an article where they had built something out of Box Elder and had used the product to keep the pinkish sparring form fading away.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In the world of automotive painting (another hobby of mine), the better grade urethane clear coats are UV blocking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is the color shift a UV issue or something else? So, more coats slow the shift?

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
It's oxidation (air) and uv.
Also the slab is going to change as it dries, and the slab needs dried properly. The crack will likely grow, and (personally) I don't think bow ties will hold it during the drying process. You might consider flat metal stock screwed in on the bottom side during the drying (and I leave it on afterwards). 24" x 48" is a good sized coffee table. I would slice it to 2", let it dry and then get it planed down when the moisture hits 6-8%. You'll likely end up at 1.5-1.75" afterwards.
Finishes? I use 2 part epoxy, and then top coat with a waterbased poly after. Epoxy and lacquers seem to pop out grains and colors.

I do a lot of live edge projects. Wild grains have a life of their own, unlike their straight laced cousins.
Gnarlywooddesigns.weebly.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts