Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go easy on me guys... This is my first piece. The drawer is a converted soft-close Kraftmaid sliding rack from a base cabinet. Pay no attention to the messy shop. The next pieces will be a matching TV stand and some built in book cases around it for the wife's massive collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
That table looks great! Someday I would like to build one of those that pop up so you can eat off of it while sitting on the couch.

Very good for a first piece.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! We eat off of ours too sometimes so I made it a little taller than a standard coffee table at a finished height of 20" IIRC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carvel Loafer said:
Looks real nice. What is the wood? The finish looks like it turned out good.
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I put a coat of about a 1lb cut shellac on the wood, then used red mahogany colored gel stain, then sprayed Sherwin Williams pre-cat lacquer, then hit the surfaces with 600 grit by hand, then rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool with soapy water.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
That came out right nice. Looks professional. A couple of suggestions. I wouldn't have used pocket screws, but that was your choice. The corner braces you added would be more effective if you made them all the way into the corner...notched around the corner of the legs. It looks like you matched the grain on the drawer front to the front apron. I might have made the drawer front an inset one.

Overall, the table looks very good, the color came out very nice on the Poplar, and the finish looks good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I put a coat of about a 1lb cut shellac on the wood, then used red mahogany colored gel stain, then sprayed Sherwin Williams pre-cat lacquer, then hit the surfaces with 600 grit by hand, then rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool with soapy water.
That's interesting, I never thought poplar could make such a nice piece of furniture but it sure did. I also didn't know you could use shellac as a sealer under the stain, that's why I hang out here,to learn some of these methods and enjoy the work of others.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Nice work man!! Good luck on the next project. Something I've always tried to do, is every new project utilizes a technique that is more advanced than the last project.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I guess I am my own critic, but I can see the flaws. I'm happy with how it turned out, but I did learn from a few mistakes. Poplar turns out decent if the wood is sealed prior to staining, otherwise it blotches really bad. I played around with different cuts of shellac until I got the formula to where I could get the color I wanted without the blotch. I used Zinsser shellac, and cut it 75% with denatured alcohol.

I wanted to build it out of cherry, but I will save the money and prime wood for when I have better skills.

Cabinetman, I was going to go with the drawer front inletted flush with the apron, but didn't trust my skills with getting the gaps right around the edges yet. I know from building cars that the gaps being even are a good sign of workmanship, and just don't trust myself yet, especially when adapting a soft-close drawer.

I will always continue process improvement and develop new skills though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts