Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finshed all of the components of a coffee table, but havn't assembled it yet. My table top has a slight upward cup to it (I'm new at this and havn't perfected anything yet. So, when I go to attach the apron to the top, I'm going to use small 1x4 pieces of maple. I'm going to attach the small block to the apron with fininsh nails. Then I'm going to use screws to attach the block to the table table. Here's my question: Does anyone know how many blocks I should use and if I use more, will it help the cup in my cup be pulled down flush with the top of the apron? Also, does anyone know what type of screws will be best for the application? I'm using pocket hole screws for the apron/legs attachment. Will the pocket hole screwd also work for the block/top attachment? One last thing: are corner braces neccessary? Thank you all for reading all of this and any help would be greaty appreciated.
-C.G.

·
Registered
801 Posts
make L shaped blocks to fit into a groove in the back side of the Apron. screw them to the underside of the top, this will allow the top to still float....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Do you have any pictures? I'm attempting my first coffee table. I wound up building a miter sled and putting extensions on my saw so I could manage the top. I'm very new to this but I use course drywall screws. They come in lots of different lengths. I still end up trimming the tip sometimes. They grab real good. A cordless drill work great for installing them also. But like I said I'm new.

·
Registered
979 Posts
make L shaped blocks to fit into a groove in the back side of the Apron. screw them to the underside of the top, this will allow the top to still float....

This is definitely important:thumbsup:

I've also used the figure eight fasteners on the long sides to allow the top to move over the apron during climate changes.

lvlacgyver, When your top wants to expand, something has got to give and it will probably be the weakest board in your glue up.

My first ever maple table top had a 1/4" split right down the center of it after only one winter because i pocket screwed the entire apron on to the top. :blink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts