Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about clutches. today while driving (1993 mustang) my foot slipped off the clutch pedal and since then it seems like there is nothing ther. Not soft or mushy just not there at all until you get all the way to the bottom. It still shifts in and out of gear easily but you have to go all the way to the bottom of the clutch before you hit anything. Any one know what might be wrong with it?:eek:

·
7,222 Posts
Anyone know anything about clutches. today while driving (1993 mustang) my foot slipped off the clutch pedal and since then it seems like there is nothing ther. Not soft or mushy just not there at all until you get all the way to the bottom. It still shifts in and out of gear easily but you have to go all the way to the bottom of the clutch before you hit anything. Any one know what might be wrong with it?:eek:
Does the clutch engage with a cable or hydraulics?

If cable, there should be a method to adjust the slack. If hydraulics, possible you got some air in the system, which would need bleeding to remove, normally a two man job. One at the fitting to loosen and one at the peddle to gently push out the fluid. Need to go slow and top up the master reservoir.

·
Master firewood maker
1,973 Posts
Tommie, I used to have a 1995 stang. I did some crazy stuff with it, ending with replacing the motor with a 410 CI stroker motor. Anyway, here is a great community for stang owners. I'm sure the guys there will know exactly what the deal is.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/fox-5-0-mustang/

My username over there is BlackVert. But I'm not on that forum much anymore since I sold the stang. Now my project car is a 1967 Fairlane.

On another note, I still have some 5.0 stuff from the stang on a shelf in the garage ... I'd love to get rid of it ... if you are interested in any of it, send me a PM and we talk about what I have.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Chris I will definetly give ya a holler after work today. And Dave it is a cable clutch I just thought it was weird that it was working just fine and then poof. I'm trying to figure out where the thing to tighten it up is at. Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I’ve done a lot of clutches when I was young and I have some stories to tell. I even went to school, but that was a long time ago and well before ’96. Anyway it sure does sound like a linkage problem to me.

Reactions: skymonkey

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what was the problem?

Oh and umm, pics or you don't got no stang.
Lol ok someone tell me how to upload using the app on my android and there are two little half moon gears that are worn out they are the self adjuster things so I used some southern ingenuity and put duct tape on one of them so the other would have some more meat to bite into. It will probably only fix it for a week or two but it gives me time to track down the parts and order them.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
...I used some southern ingenuity and put duct tape on one of them so the other would have some more meat to bite into.
Oh yes, the fix all. A friend of mine who races dirt bikes calls that 100 MPH tape. I used it once to fix a hole in my oil pan so I could get home. LOL.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I once used it to patch an aluminum canoe and finished the trip.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was about to bet on a frayed clutch cable from the shock it may have got from a foot slipping off the cable. Glad you figured it out. Might wanna do some research on adjusting the linkage before you install the new parts.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was about to bet on a frayed clutch cable from the shock it may have got from a foot slipping off the cable. Glad you figured it out. Might wanna do some research on adjusting the linkage before you install the new parts.
Oh yeah I plan on it there is a guy up at napa that knows a lot about stangs and he will help me out. Rule number 1 of owning a cliunker make friends with a mechanic and anyone up at the parts stores lol

Reactions: skymonkey
1 - 13 of 13 Posts