Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 closet doors that won't stand open, they will close half way. I think they can be fixed buy putting shims under the hinges, but which hinge do I shim and how thick??.

Thank you, Billytrail:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Get an accurate level and check the jamb to make sure it's plumb. If it's out then shim the hinges to get it closer or perfect if you can and that should stop the problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
another quick fix is to remove one or more hinge pins and lay them on something solid and give it a rap with a hammer putting a slight bend in them. it makes an interferance fit and sometimes works if door isn't too heavy(solid)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Closet doors

If they swing on their own, the jam is probably out of plumb or square. Check and adjust there first to do it properly. Shimming at the hinges is seldom anything more than a temporary fix and it looks bad unless you go to great pains to conceal your jury rigging. Time that could have been invested in repairing the jam.

Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shimming the hinges would mean having to trim the edge of the door to allow it to close. Bend the hinge pin as suggested. Or, there is a magnetic door stop available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts