Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey- I am turning a bedroom into a closet (i realize this is the reverse of the norm!).
fairly typical closet build except that in the past I have made the floor length uprights out 2 sheets of 3/4" veneered plywood sandwiched over one 1/2" plywood with a hardwood face on the front edge.
However I am doing this one on a budget.

So- can 3/4" birch plywood uprights hold the weight of a loaded closet rod?
Would anyone recommend a different material?

Pics show stained wood but material will likely be painted

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!

That would be far more than strong enough. Assuming that you have the "uprights" stable to start with.

George
I'm thinking wood dowel the bottoms into the existing hardwood floor and use 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8" aluminum angle stock pieces on the tops screwed into studs.

Plenty strong enough!

Nice layout, what program are you using?

Rob
MatthewEOD is right.
I'm using Sketchup. The free version.
I don't have access to CAD license anymore. Which is a BUMMER!

The way you have it drawn, the rod looks supportive. What are you using for a rod, and how are you mounting it?
.08" wall metal 1 5/16" chrome hollow rod. Planning on fairly typical end flange with three machine screws and nuts through-bolted. I'm also going to drill and tap for a set screw to lock the rod in place

Since the clear consensus is that 3/4 ply will easily support the weight-
I think I'll just go with 3/4 birch ply, treat the edges with poplar rips and paint the whole thing. I'd love to step up to hardwood veneer but it just isn't in the budget for this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.