Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:
We bought 4k linear feet of 1x6 Doug Fir tongue and groove paneling recently to use as the ceiling of a timberframe house we're building in rural Alaska. When we dug into it we were dismayed to find that most of it had significant problems - tearout, pits, and a lot of roller burn (a LOT!- 60-70% of sticks had it). Not something we could use as-is, but we were pressed for time (crew was in town on our dime for only a few more days).
The grade we ostensibly bought was "Clear, D and Better". My understanding of that grade is that it's the lowest of the clear grades, and can have occasional knots and other issues. That's fine, but what we got was I think must worse than that. I've made a gallery of some of the things we saw as we went through:

I've not bought this grade of wood before, it's pretty spendy stuff - $2.35/lf. This was a pretty big splurge, many thousands of dollars in total, plus a not insignificant shipping cost to get it to Alaska. Did we get some bad product or are my expectations too high? Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The grade looks fine for D&Btr. The stock looks straight, and the T&G looks fine. But the faces are a mess. This would be a guess, but the skips and burns might both be caused by stock that was a bit thin to begin with so the feedworks stalled out now and then. In any case, you have ample reason to complain about this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts