Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a table-building project involving a walnut slab that has a number of defects (knotholes, etc.) that I would like to fill with clear epoxy prior to sanding flush and applying a rub-on polyurethane finish. Many of the resins available have a yellow or amber cast when poured to any thickness, which would be undesirable. The slab is approximately 3″ thick and some of the defects go completely through the slab, so would have to be sealed on the backside prior to filling. There is also a fair amount of bark in some of the holes, which I would like to retain to add interest to the finished table. Any suggestions as to the optimal product to use as a fill material, and/or techniques that would maximize the opportunities for success on this effort?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to all for your input. Am thinking the West Systems epoxy is likely the way to go given the input here and from what I've read elsewhere. It sounds like several small incremental pours are needed to avoid overheating from the reaction of the epoxy setting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.