Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making a few keepsake boxes with birch and mahogany. I was wondering what the best seal/ clear coat would be for the two woods combined.

I have little experience with this so any advice is appreciated. I really like the grains so I don't want to stain them

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Try mixing up some blonde shellac, will change the color probably the least of any finish other than lacquer and it's non toxic/low fumes

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
I am making a few keepsake boxes with birch and mahogany. I was wondering what the best seal/ clear coat would be for the two woods combined.

I have little experience with this so any advice is appreciated. I really like the grains so I don't want to stain them
There is not a one best finish. It depends on the application and how you are equipped more than anything. If you are not staining the boxes you should stay with a non-yellowing finish. Most oil base finishes and nitrocellulose lacquer finishes will yellow as the age especially if they are used in a sunny location. Any finish that is acrylic would work as well as water based finishes. You could also use a pre-catalyzed or fully catalyzed lacquer. These finishes though dry very fast and are better sprayed. If you are not equipped to spray some of these products are available in rattle can from Mohawk Finishing Products. Personally I don't like seeing the texture of mahogany wood. When finishing mahogany I use a grain filler to fill the open grain prior to finishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts