Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am making some wooden pot holders for someone. I plan on spray painting them and I was wondering if I could use a water based clear acrylic over the spray paint to seal it? Any help is appreciated....

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the water based clear acrylic wouldn't seal the paint? Or is the acrylic going react to the hot pan? I've seen wooden pot holders, so do I need to just stick to the unpainted,unfinished wood?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I guess the best thing to do is test it on a scrap piece of wood painted with your paint of choice and stick a hot pan on it

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I think you will have problems with the heat with both the spray paint and the acrylic. I believe your only hope would be to use a high temp engine enamel and not topcoat it but engine enamels are usually in loud colors.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> So the water based clear acrylic wouldn't seal the paint? Or is the acrylic going react to the hot pan?

Most finishes will not stand up to temperatures much over 160-180 degrees. Makes no difference whether it's paint or clear.

Most wooden potholders are oiled with mineral oil or left unfinished. Test it out on some scrap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts