Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything around the house I can use to clean a circular saw blade and not take off the paint? I used acetone or turpentine on a blade I didn't care much about as a test and it cleaned it great, but took the black lettering off.

Anything that won't harm the blade paint so much to retain that info? I tried pouring some Goof-off on it but it didn't do much.

I know they sell blade cleaner, just have never really looked for it and figure I will probably only use it once or twice in the next few years so if there is something hanging around already I'll use that.

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Lots of choices around the house should work well.....409, Fantastic, LA's Totally Awesome, Greased Lightning, Goo Gone, Dawn/water, kerosene, Simple Green (preferably the purple), Lestoil, Mr. Clean, etc. With the cleaners, I just spritz the teeth and hit them with a brass or stiff nylon brush, rinse, and wipe....done in a few minutes. Freud suggests a kerosene soak for stubborn pitch.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner is basically lye, which is what the saw shops around here use. Gets them perfectly clean with a tooth brush scrubbing and rinse. Never bothered the paint on the blade. Although I don't know why that would matter.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
that long...?

I wait until my blades need sharpening and the sharpening shop cleans my blades for me.

I clean mine often and they show better performance right away. :yes:

Reactions: mdntrdr

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. Guess I just have to try a little harder. The Acetone definitely took all the lettering off, and can only imagine what a Freud Diablo blade would look like stripped of paint (Crap).

Giving something I have around a go.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
The Acetone definitely took all the lettering off, and can only imagine what a Freud Diablo blade would look like stripped of paint (Crap).
That is not paint. It is a teflon coating that you do not want to remove. :smile:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I stopped worrying about removing the lettering when I started making holders for the blades. Take a piece of thick non-corrugated cardboard (thicker than a cereal box, but not a lot, ideally) about 2.5 times as long as the blade is. Fold it to form an envelope about the size of the blade, and tape up the sides. Label it with what kind of blade is in it ("8.5" rip blade, 24 tooth") and drop the blade in. It makes them much easier to sort through and pack when I need to take them somewhere.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Will not harm finish or brazing. :smile:
That's not correct. Contact Simple Green and they will tell you not to use their standard supermarket grade of Simple Greee. It will damage the braising. They make a metal cleaning product that is suitable for blade cleaning but I can recall the name at this point

Freud recommends a blade cleaner or soaking in kerosene followed by brushing with a soft brass brush

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Read my post before quoting me Pal...

That's not correct. Contact Simple Green and they will tell you not to use their standard supermarket grade of Simple Greee. It will damage the braising. They make a metal cleaning product that is suitable for blade cleaning but I can recall the name at this point

Freud recommends a blade cleaner or soaking in kerosene followed by brushing with a soft brass brush
My post said Simple Green "Purple formula". That is straight from the manufacturer saying it wont harm the brazing.

What say you??? :huh::blink:

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
hmmmm?

>>>>> My post said Simple Green "Purple formula".

Sorry, I missed that.
How can something so Simple be both Green AND Purple?

Grurple? Pureen? :huh:

:boat:

Reactions: mdntrdr
1 - 17 of 17 Posts