Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a advise or tricks anybody has to clean tools from rust,i used some
man made pumice from a hardware store and is too rough, any ideas?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Real small tools like center punches ,I throw in the rock tumbler with some fish tank gravel.Itchy

·
Registered
32 Posts
I normally just lightly brush with a stainless wire brush and apply a rust converter, changes the rust to a black oxide type finish. You can get the rust converter from hardware stores or auto supplies. If you want 'em real pretty, you will have to polish them down to bare metal and spray 'em with a clear varnish to prevent further rust.

Reactions: nado

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If you have a number of tools to clean you could try electrolysis. It is a fairly simple process using Boraxo in water and running a low voltage current through the liquid. The tool is attached to one side of the circuit, and a piece of iron is attached to the other side of the circuit. Both are immersed in the water, with space between them, and the current carries the rust away from the tool and deposits it on the piece of iron. I believe the tool is attached to the negative side of the circuit. A car battery hooked up to a charger is a good source for your low voltage.

Gerry

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have always used a wire-wheel drill attachment to clean rusted tools and parts. It works like a charm, and rarely mars the surface. Then I put a spot of WD40 on a rag and wipe it down. Good as new! Almost... hehe!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have always used a wire-wheel drill attachment to clean rusted tools and parts. It works like a charm, and rarely mars the surface. Then I put a spot of WD40 on a rag and wipe it down. Good as new! Almost... hehe!

Awwwwww Yes ! where would we be without WD40 and duct tape :thumbsup:

Chili

·
Registered
186 Posts
If you have a number of tools to clean you could try electrolysis. It is a fairly simple process using Boraxo in water and running a low voltage current through the liquid. The tool is attached to one side of the circuit, and a piece of iron is attached to the other side of the circuit. Both are immersed in the water, with space between them, and the current carries the rust away from the tool and deposits it on the piece of iron. I believe the tool is attached to the negative side of the circuit. A car battery hooked up to a charger is a good source for your low voltage.

Gerry
This works great. I've done it several times with good success. Google it and you'll find detailed instructions. It may seem difficult but it really is very simple to do.

Brad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a caveat regarding electrolytic de-rusting. It is line of sight. That means if you have only a single anode on one side of your tank, only the side of the cathode (that is the thing you want the rust removed from) that directly faces the anode will be de-rusted. The way I do it is to have several anodes connected together that surround the piece I want de-rusted. Just MAKE SURE the anode(s) and cathode(s) do not touch.

I use a battery charger for mine. Not all battery chargers will work because some will detect the "short circuit" and shut off. Mine does that in "charge" mode, but if I switch it to "start" mode it works fine.

xeddog

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just a caveat regarding electrolytic de-rusting. It is line of sight. That means if you have only a single anode on one side of your tank, only the side of the cathode (that is the thing you want the rust removed from) that directly faces the anode will be de-rusted. The way I do it is to have several anodes connected together that surround the piece I want de-rusted. Just MAKE SURE the anode(s) and cathode(s) do not touch.

I use a battery charger for mine. Not all battery chargers will work because some will detect the "short circuit" and shut off. Mine does that in "charge" mode, but if I switch it to "start" mode it works fine.

xeddog
A battery hooked into the circuit should allow any charger to work. It doesn't have to be a really good battery.

Gerry

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just restored my dads old craftsman table saw that's been sitting for 22 yrs and used a wire brush and drill on the top. Surprisingly enough everything still works great. The top turned out great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.