Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading on here about hand plains I have to go round mine up. I have 10 or so. Because I havent been in my shop in a long time what I found was most of my tools have gone to rust. I bought this rust remover for OReilly's Auto Parts, Tractor Supply has it to. I took my #4 Standley plain all apart and socked over night. The next day all the rust was gone and all the parts was bare shiny metal. I have to say this product is Awesome for cleaning up tools. This isn't anything like ( Chem-prime ) another brand of rust remover. I socked a pair of pliers over night in Chem-Prime once and the crumbled like chalk the next day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yep. Love it. And it's not toxic! I just pour it in my rocks once spent, but I reuse the stuff several times before I reach that point. Great product.

·
Registered
12,544 Posts
Ace Hardware sells a product called "Acid Magic." It is supposedly a muratic acid substitute that does not have the bad characteristics of the acid.

I have used it to clean bricks after I have laid them. It does a good job of cleaning up for this. I have not tried it on rust.

George

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man oh man I wish I could afford to buy it by the drum. I could get a lot of tools back to their luster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use following method for cleaning tools: First store the tools in dry place using silica gel for drawing the place. Than I Spray with a penetrating lubricant and spray-on, wipe-off, acid-based rust remover. Finally I use steel wool and grease. And get rid of rust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts