Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Grizzly 3 hp dust collector that has two pleated filters. They are clogged and I was wondering if they can be cleaned and what is the best method. Also, does anyone make replacement filters that are less than $187 each? Dang these are expensive. For a few more bucks I could buy a whole new dust collector! The entire thing sells for $625. Any suggestions?

·
7,222 Posts
I use a brush on the inside to remove most of the debris, then a shop vac on the inside with a brush fitting, and finally clean out with compressed air from the outside to the inside. You want the filter on the floor or do this outside to minimize dust.

I hated doing this to finally installed a Thien baffle, now only fine dust gets trapped and I can go many months before cleaning, and when I do need to clean the shop vac and compressed air work well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a brush on the inside to remove most of the debris, then a shop vac on the inside with a brush fitting, and finally clean out with compressed air from the outside to the inside. You want the filter on the floor or do this outside to minimize dust. I hated doing this to finally installed a Thien baffle, now only fine dust gets trapped and I can go many months before cleaning, and when I do need to clean the shop vac and compressed air work well.
What is a thief baffle?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I use a leaf blower first I blow from the outside than the inside after a couple of times everything is clean again. I do this out side of my shop and let the wind blow away the dust.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a leaf blower first I blow from the outside than the inside after a couple of times everything is clean again. I do this out side of my shop and let the wind blow away the dust.
I like that idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I like that idea! Thanks.
a thien baffle is a plate that affects the performance of DCs in two ways, both positive. i suggest you check out phil's site:

http://www.jpthien.com/

lots of info and great ideas.

i applied the baffle/jet "vortex cone" principle to a delta 50-850 using a discarded frying pan. others have used woks. the baffle is easy to fabricate and can be used in the drum ring of a single stage collector or in a pre-separator to capture upwards of 95% of the collected debris before it gets to the filter.

here's how i did mine:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/40189

dramatically increased the debris going to the collection bag instead of my pleated filter, keeping the filter cleaner longer thereby maintaining suction for a longer period of time than operating without a baffle in the drum ring.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Have a Grizzly 3 hp dust collector that has two pleated filters. They are clogged and I was wondering if they can be cleaned and what is the best method. Also, does anyone make replacement filters that are less than $187 each? Dang these are expensive. For a few more bucks I could buy a whole new dust collector! The entire thing sells for $625. Any suggestions?

According to Bill Pentz, you should never scrape them or brush them. Use air to blow them out. That is compressed air from the outside of the filter blowing into the inside of the filter. All done, of course, outside the shop! :)

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

You can call the people at Wynn Environmental and they will hook you up...

http://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

the ones from them will be 0.5 micron and that gets most of the superfine dust.

Better still, if you could put the DC to exhaust outside, you could use canvas bags and forgo the expensive filters.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
My baffle works great for the larger pieces but the fine dust from the drum sander winds up in the filter pleats! UGH! Gotta stop and clean it.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have a couple of shop vacuum with pleated filters. About every other time these are emptied, I clean between the pleats with the other shop vacuum. Five minutes beats buying another filter for about $45. (HEPA filters)

I think that you have just explained the advantage to using bags on a large dust collector. I have a long stick that I use to beat the top bag.

With the Thein baffle system all your dust collector will get is the wood flour. All the chips are trapped below the Thein baffle. I'm told that it seems to work better than a cyclone system.

I use one of those trash can separators. The plastic top fits on a galvanized 30 gallon trash can. (Woodcraft and Rockler) All that I see in the bottom bag of the dust collector is wood flour. I'm assuming that just wood flour in the DC I good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cleaning your Cartidge Filters

Hi Ken, I use a tool called "Power Pic Pro" to clean the cartridge filter in my shop vac..... Hope this helps...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ken:

I have been using a leaf blower for many years to clean my filter. I also have a Thien Top Hat pre-separator that keeps the filter clean.

Eric

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I also use a leaf blower and it works great. It does make a very large dust cloud. Use a dust mask and do it in an open are outside.
Tom

·
Registered
482 Posts
A very large dust cloud?

I also use a leaf blower and it works great. It does make a very large dust cloud. Use a dust mask and do it in an open are outside.
Tom
:huh: I must be missing something.... When I use my leaf blower on my filter, I get very little dust outside of the fine dust collection bag. The only dust that comes out is through the DC inlet. If I cap it, I get no dust. All the dust from the filter falls into the fines dust bag. I get more "dust cloud" when I change the fines bag then when I use the leaf blower on the filter.

Tom, help me understand how you are getting such a dust cloud? Are you removing the filter from the DC before you use the leaf blower?

Eric

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a couple of shop vacuum with pleated filters. About every other time these are emptied, I clean between the pleats with the other shop vacuum. Five minutes beats buying another filter for about $45. (HEPA filters)

I think that you have just explained the advantage to using bags on a large dust collector. I have a long stick that I use to beat the top bag.

With the Thein baffle system all your dust collector will get is the wood flour. All the chips are trapped below the Thein baffle. I'm told that it seems to work better than a cyclone system.

I use one of those trash can separators. The plastic top fits on a galvanized 30 gallon trash can. (Woodcraft and Rockler) All that I see in the bottom bag of the dust collector is wood flour. I'm assuming that just wood flour in the DC I good.
I realize this is an old post but:

I made two different Thein baffles and over time I would end up with wood flour in the plastic collection bag beneath the Wynn filter.
After I made and used the cyclone system I no longer get wood flour in the plastic bag beneath the Wynn pleated filter. I did get some fine dust when I forgot to empty the garbage can and it was over filled. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f32/cyclone-dc-51167/

I made the cyclone filter back in May of 2013 and 3 weeks ago I removed the Wynn filter and blew out the fine wood flour. Before I made the cyclone DC I would get a big buildup of fine dust within the Wynn filter. I no longer get that build up. I use to clean the Wynn filter every three months. I use a wind velocity gauge at one of my dust collection ports to determine when to clean the Wynn filter. When the wind velocity gets below 13 mph I clean the filter.

By the way with the Thein separator I could never get more than 11 mph.

The cyclone DC from my point of view is far superior the Thein.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
:huh: I must be missing something.... When I use my leaf blower on my filter, I get very little dust outside of the fine dust collection bag. The only dust that comes out is through the DC inlet. If I cap it, I get no dust. All the dust from the filter falls into the fines dust bag. I get more "dust cloud" when I change the fines bag then when I use the leaf blower on the filter.

Tom, help me understand how you are getting such a dust cloud? Are you removing the filter from the DC before you use the leaf blower?

Eric
Are you using a Thein separator or cyclone DC? Are you using a plastic or filter bag below your Wynn pleated filter? Are you using two filter bags?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Are you using a Thein separator or cyclone DC? Are you using a plastic or filter bag below your Wynn pleated filter? Are you using two filter bags?
Jet DC-1100 with the original Jet canister

Thien Top Hat Pre-Separator (with 6" ports).

Original Plastic bag below the Jet Canister.

See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
ORBlackFZ1 said:
:huh: I must be missing something.... When I use my leaf blower on my filter, I get very little dust outside of the fine dust collection bag. The only dust that comes out is through the DC inlet. If I cap it, I get no dust. All the dust from the filter falls into the fines dust bag. I get more "dust cloud" when I change the fines bag then when I use the leaf blower on the filter. Tom, help me understand how you are getting such a dust cloud? Are you removing the filter from the DC before you use the leaf blower? Eric
I completely remove the filter from the dust collector. I take it outside. I set it so it's off the ground and allows air flow to exit the bottom. I will sit it on a three blocks. I blow from the outside and the dust comes off the filter and out the bottom thru the opening between the blocks and the ground.
Tom

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
ORBLACKF21

I would follow TomC advice.

I also noticed by your pics you have wood flour in the bottom of your plastic bag. Why do you have clamps holding the baffle in place. Do you use the paddles inside your filter. I understand that is a good idea, but it shortens the life of the filter pleats.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks for the details.

I completely remove the filter from the dust collector. I take it outside. I set it so it's off the ground and allows air flow to exit the bottom. I will sit it on a three blocks. I blow from the outside and the dust comes off the filter and out the bottom thru the opening between the blocks and the ground.
Tom
Thanks for the details. I get your process now.

So the big question is: Do you find that the filter gets cleaner this way? As opposed to leaving the filter on the DC and blowing it out?

The couple of times I have removed my filter, and then blew it out with the leaf blower, I didn't find the filter any cleaner than just leaving it on the DC and blowing it out with the leaf blower.

Leaving the filter on the DC produced a lot less mess, because all the fines that I blew out ended up in the plastic bag. After I finished blowing the filter out on the DC, I take the filter off and blow it again with the leaf blower and very few fines would come out, so I assumed that blowing the filter out while it was on the DC, cleaned it just as good as removing the filter. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your detailed process. Sometimes I think that I am using a good process, but then I find out about someone else's process and wonder if that process is better. That is one of my favorite things about woodworking: ask ten (10) different woodworkers how to accomplish a task and you may get ten (10) different answers. All the answers may work, but they may also vary in speed, cost and quality.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts