Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a wood dashboard for my Triumph TR6 and used Helmsman spar varnish to finish it. What's the best thing to use to clean or wax it? I got a lot of fingerprints all over it during installation, plus I'd like to keep it looking nice down the road. I read about using carnauba wax, can I assume I have to buy some special carnauba for wood or varnish (that costs twice as much in a little tiny bottle)as opposed to what I use to wax the car?

Thanks,
Darel

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I made a wood dashboard for my Triumph TR6 and used Helmsman spar varnish to finish it. What's the best thing to use to clean or wax it? I got a lot of fingerprints all over it during installation, plus I'd like to keep it looking nice down the road. I read about using carnauba wax, can I assume I have to buy some special carnauba for wood or varnish (that costs twice as much in a little tiny bottle)as opposed to what I use to wax the car?

Thanks,
Darel
That varnish can take weeks to cure, and will stay somewhat soft. If there are embedded fingerprints, it isn't cured. Fingerprints should just wipe off. Personally, I wouldn't apply wax to any film finish. It would not add to any degree of protection. Film finishes should wipe clean. A wax will preclude doing any further finishing . To do so would require removal which would be a PITA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the fingerprints do just wipe off. However, this being an item that sees some "abuse", I didn't want to just keep wiping the surface over and over, slowly abrading it. However, seems like the experts agree, so I'll just wipe away. Thanks guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts