Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-
So I have another Dilemma!
I have heard from many of you about the benefits of old American Iron on many occasions. I found a 15" variable speed floor model clausing drill press that seems to be very clean in picture and owner claims to be the first owner. He is asking $800 and I have to drive for couple hours to get it. Is it worth it? What if it was a 17"? Worth it then?
Next, I wanted to ask about the General 75-260 drill press which can be had for about the same money as the clausing I mentioned. For some reason I don't find any good (or bad) reviews on that model. I saw in it in a show ( well, the film of the show) and it seems like a good press with 6" stroke, MT 3, and 1 HP. Any ideas on that one? Which one you would go for?
Thank you all in advance for helping

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The Clausing sounds like a lot of money. If that variable drive system has problems you could be in a world of regrets.

The big plus on the General is the 6" stroke. That's a lot of travel and would be good for some operations. Aside from that, there are other DP's available for about the same money with good features, like this 20", 1-1/2 HP Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reply Bill. That Grizzley seems mighty. I wonder how accurate they are. I kind of like the idea of variable speed even though I could live without it. On the Clausing, it's just that I see them going for such high prices on Ebay that I thought maybe the price is justified. But again I hear you on problem issues which could cost a lot to fix as I hear their parts are very pricy. I just don't see them on Craig's list often where I am so I admit to being a bit over-excited. I have been thinking about the Steel City too. I guess my number one concern is low run out and accuracy.
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you've ever operated a DP with the two features - adjustable depth stop - and quill lock - and then operated one without those two features you wouldn't even consider one without those . They're out there for sale and it's just a matter of being patient to find one .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont most drill presses have an Adjustable debth stop. The Quil lock I know the Steel City has and some Deltas. Font know about Clausing or General. Is that mostly used for applications like sanding (quill lock), or holding the piece down while clamping for exactly placed hole ?!
Thanks

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
For my pension dollar, buy something new = parts & service. The old Yank tools are pure magic
until you can't find parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts