Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well there's no visible sign that bowl gave you any problems :no:

How did you choose to get around the broken tenon issue? Turn down the outside some more to make a new tenon? Use a recess instead of a tenon? Glue on a wasteblock? Other?

I've got some walnut bowl blanks sitting by the lathe, they're just waiting for me to get my gouge sharpened. Hope I can turn them as nicely as you did this one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mounted the unfinished side to a face plate and returned the bottom with a recess and then finished as usual. I don't usually like a recess but didn't want to turn away that much of the bowl to make a new tenon.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I mounted the unfinished side to a face plate and returned the bottom with a recess and then finished as usual. I don't usually like a recess but didn't want to turn away that much of the bowl to make a new tenon.
Quite understandable. I've never tried using a recess, always been afraid that I'd crank the chuck too far and cause it to split wide open. I really should try it some time, just so I can learn when it can work.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ghost, a lot of times I'll turn it with a tenon and then put it in Cole jaws and turn the tenon away, but I rarely ever actually start with a recess :blink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts