Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a lot of clamps, so I was wondering...how many and what type of clamps do most of you have? What clamps do you use the most?

·
Registered
714 Posts
First of all, no matter how many you have, it ain't enough. I like the Bessey's for edge glueing. I probably have 12 of those of assorted lengths. Ace and Lowes have had sales recently on Irwin Quick Grips. I picked up 8 12" and 8 6". I keep those handy at the bench as I always need a 3rd hand. Their also great for narrow lamination glueing.
My old pipe clamps don't see too much action these days unless I run out of Bessey's.
The Jorgenson bar clamps still play a vital role in the shop and I guess maybe 20-25 of those.
Got maybe 50 assorted spring clamps. Seems like for a while there, that's all I got for Christmas...spring clamps. I've got enough already!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I don't have alot of clamps either. I think I have 12 shop fox pipe clamp ends. I have a large assortment of different lengths of pipe and just screw the clamp ends on whichever length of pipe I need. I would have some bessey's but can't justify the money right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
I have half a dozen spring clamps, 4 Jorgenson wood jaw clamps, 20 or so 3', 8-5', 4-7', 4-10' 1/2" pony pipe clamps, 4-6", 20-12", 8-18", 12-24" quick clamps & 5 'C' clamps. I wish I had double of everything. It still wouldn't be enough. I get the quick clamps at the "Ocean State Job Lot". They have great prices, $7 for 6", $8 for 12", $9 for 18" and $10 for 24". You just need to test them before you buy them, found a couple that slip from time to time.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I can't tell you how many I have, but i can tell you for certain i don't have enough....does anyone? The best I have ever bought came off E bay, and they are 6 footers with I beam bars and high bookends...paid like $15 a piece for them...wish I could buy 10 more like them.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I'm in the same camp as Rob. I love my Besseys. Technically mine are cold war era relics . . . . they are stamped "Made in West Germany". :laughing:

For you non-Bessey owners, if you have never seen someone try to figure out how to operate one of them it's a gas. :yes: My problem is I ususally wait until I am holding something heavy, together with all three hands and someone walks into the shop at the perfect time and says "Whoa! What can I do to help?" "Well grab one of those red clamps there and ...... oh never mind come hold this together for me I'll clamp it .....":laughing:

Edit: For those that have the book "Maloof. Woodworker" notice many of the pictures of how many gazillion clamps the man has. It's astounding.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I saw a flyer from Grizzly a few days back, and they are offering sets of clamps in a lot of price ranges. I know the few times I have time to work in the shop, lack of clamps will slow you down. There are a lot of Bessy style clamps on E-Bay, but the only ones I have used are the welding variety...and they are the best. But they should be at $150 and up for a 12 inch clamp.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a lot of clamps and just like everyone else here...they are never enough. I did get a set of Plano panel clamps a couple of years ago and that cut down on the number of clamps I use for panel glue ups. They make a nice straight panel and they are vertical...so I just made a cart for them. Being vertical saves critical shop room for me. I just wish I had 4 of them so I could do more panels at a time.....:shifty: :shifty:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Its the same story,look at some plans then look over at the pipe rack and say sh-- i need more clamps or longer ones.My favorites are bar clamps,buy the 1/2" or 3/4" kit,its fairly cheap,need a bigger clamp,buy a bigger pipe.I found my self hooking two clamps together out of desperation thats when i decided to get the bar clamps and an assortment of different threaded pipes.Its better then buying a new clamp every time you need a longer one.Maybe not the best clamps in design but certainly economical when you need so many.Love the wood clamps its like another hand holding up long panels for assembly,at least thats what i use them for mainly.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Now that my camera is working again, I thought I'd show ya some pics of my Plano panel clamps. This panel is going to be the back board for a trophy black bear mount. It's strips of birds eye maple and curly maple. I make 2 panels and then run them through the planer and then glue the two together.

DSC01493.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01495.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't got a huge collection yet, but so far my favorites are the Bessey K's. Last year about this time the Woodcraft stores were having a sale--40% off all the Besseys, I couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

--Darrell

P.s. What does one of those Plano clamps cost.

·
Registered
404 Posts
No they are not cheap..I got mine a couple of years ago, forget exactly what I paid, but they were worth every penny. I had a chance to see them in action before I bought them. If you glue up panels you will appreciate them in no time.

Look here... www.advmachinery.com

I have a Nobex 10" square too....they are a pleasure to use...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just for ****s and giggles I glued up a frame using the old wedge clamp technique.
Worked real well,but no,I need clamps too I am waiting for some deals to pop up and hopefully get some Bessey's as now I have pipe clamps and quick clamps,servicable but Bessey's are sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd love to be able to afford Bessey clamps, but have 4) 36"; 2) 24"; 2) 12" Pitsburg clamps from HF with two panel glue up clamps at about 24" also from Habor freight. I take no pride in buying Chinese, but I've had no problems with these clamps and on sell, they're pretty cheap! I'm not saying they are the best, but when you never have enough clamps the price helps you have more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Recently found a garage sale of a "retiring" woodworker. He is only in his mid 60's I'd say, but his Parkinsons was getting too bad. My grandfather is in the same boat. However, he just turned 87.

I bought out the guy's Pony Spring Clamps. Got about two dozen of them for $2 and $4 for the large clamps. Saw that these are the same spring clamps that Norm uses on New Yankee Workshop. They are sweet.

My grandfather has a hundred or more C clamps in varying sizes. I'm hoping to get those when he decides to clean out his shop. Mostly, I'd like to have them displayed proudly in my shop as my Grandfather's C clamp collection. A lot of his tools are old and worn out, but there are some sentimental pieces that I'd like to have.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I just explored the pictures of the Plano panel clamp....and the US patent office says nothing new has been created in 40 years...I am impressed...now..let me see, exactly how do I tell my wife I need one of these????.....come on guys, what is a valid excuse???

·
Registered
404 Posts
You could always play the " But everybody else has them" card....:laughing: :laughing:

Or you could plan to make something for her that you must glue many panels up for. Wood is expensive and you would hate to waste some gluing up bad panels.....:icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

I know....my excuses are lame....but that's all I got. I ordered them and used them for a few months before Jill even knew I had mine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts