Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I’m new to the forum. I’m in the market for a new circular saw and really like the Milwaukee 7.25” TILT LOK 6390-21. I would like to make a couple fences/guides for this saw out of MDF and some plywood. Something like shown here http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497

My question is on the left side of the saw where the base plate would slide along the guide edge, am I going to have clearance issues with how close the motor is to the base plate? In other words, is the motor going to get in the way of sliding the base plate edge along the edge of a piece of 1x4 or similar? I have reviewed a few different manufactures saws and they all seem to have the motor pretty close to the base plate.

Since I have never used a circular saw with a guide, I just wanted to make sure that the Milwaukee 6390-21 is going to be able to accommodate such a guide and I won’t have issues using one.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Depends on how thick the material is you want to cut. If you are cutting 3/4" ply you can raise the saw up (reduce the depth of cut) and still cut completely through the 3/4" ply. Now if you want to use that kind of guide on 2x stock you will have a problem. One suggestion would be to use thinner material for the guide, say 1/2" ply or plane some solid wood down on a thickness planer to 1/2" and use that.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
this may help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Makes sense to me. I just didn't want to end up with a saw that was not good at accommodating a guide. That video that was posted really helped. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Didn't watch the whole video, so excuse me if this is duplicate, but here's mine, 3/4" ply with a 1/4" guide fence. You can use the other side of the guide for a straight-edge for your router base of you have one; right side is for the circular saw, left side is for my router and a 3/8" straight bit.

image-1270320380.jpg

·
John
3,028 Posts
Hi guys. I’m new to the forum. I’m in the market for a new circular saw and really like the Milwaukee 7.25” TILT LOK 6390-21. I would like to make a couple fences/guides for this saw out of MDF and some plywood. Something like shown here http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497

My question is on the left side of the saw where the base plate would slide along the guide edge, am I going to have clearance issues with how close the motor is to the base plate? In other words, is the motor going to get in the way of sliding the base plate edge along the edge of a piece of 1x4 or similar? I have reviewed a few different manufactures saws and they all seem to have the motor pretty close to the base plate.

Since I have never used a circular saw with a guide, I just wanted to make sure that the Milwaukee 6390-21 is going to be able to accommodate such a guide and I won’t have issues using one.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
To keep it simple, with that type of guide the amount of depth of cut you would lose it the difference between the thickness of the guide rail and the thickness of the saw shoe. ie rail thickness - shoe thickness = loss of cutting depth. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts